***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
The candidate will primarily work virtually from a home-office with occasional in-person meetings as necessary. Preference for candidate to be in the Mid-Atlantic states (NC, SC, VA).
The Director of Data Engineering provides leadership, coaching and mentorship to a team of data engineers responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, and implementing code to build and integrate technology that supports enterprise data management and data warehouse solutions.
The position is both technical and managerial requiring knowledge of data modeling, software engineering, and technologies, including relational, NoSQL, graph, time-series, containers, serverless, IaC, etc., as well as the benefits, trade-offs, and applicability of each to the problem domain. The ideal candidate will have a strong work ethic, fantastic attitude and be comfortable addressing new challenges daily. To be successful, you must have experience exceeding customer’s expectations with both products and services. We provide significant flexibility and autonomy to team members, have high expectations and expect everyone to contribute meaningfully to our broader collective goals.
Responsible for hiring, training, coaching, evaluating, and managing performance for the team, helping transition from Waterfall to Agile.
Lead a growing team responsible for design, development, documentation, and maintenance of scalable data pipelines including APIs to support continuing increases in data volume and complexity.
Provide strategic direction and planning for data engineering initiatives.
Collaborate with Enterprise Data leaders and key stakeholders in the development and implementation of policies, standards, and the framework for the overall SDLC for Enterprise Data.
Collaborate with analytics and business teams to improve data models that feed business intelligence tools, increasing data accessibility, and fostering data-driven decision making across the organization.
Serve as organizational expert on data engineering best practices, techniques, and methods. Research, analyze, and apply emerging trends to projects and operations. Contribute strategic expertise to IT and organizational initiatives.
Define roles and responsibilities related to data engineering and ensure clear accountability for the team.
Direct the establishment and adherence to data engineering guidelines, principles, policies, and standards.
Manage an annual budget with both onshore FTEs and offshore contract developers.
Qualified candidates must be authorized to work in the United States. The American Red Cross does not sponsor employment visas.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Experience: Minimum 7 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required.
Management Experience: Minimum 5 years of management experience.
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
• Knowledge of data engineering best practices, business and technology issues related to management of enterprise information assets.
• Ability to advance innovation by researching and implementing current and emerging technology solutions and trends.
• Ability to build effective relationships and get work done thru influence and collaboration.
• Demonstrated ability to operate with a sense of urgency, confidence, and openness to breakthrough-thinking on people issues.
• Demonstrated ability to become an internally and externally recognized subject matter expert.
• Expertise in scaling agile practices and methodologies across multiple agile teams and development of the agile mindset.
• Expertise in at least one high level programming language. Prefer experience with Python and/or Java.
• Expertise in leading development/engineering teams to develop high performing data pipelines and ETL jobs. Prefer experience with Informatica.
• Experience managing to an annual budget with both onshore FTEs and offshore contract developers.
Travel: May travel to participate in meetings as required.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights