Reports to: Finance and Operations Director
Department: Finance and Operations
Employment Status and Work Schedule
Non-exempt, temporary position up to 20 hours per work week. This position is funded for up to 6 months.
The Senior Accountant is responsible for planning, organizing, and performing complex professional level accounting, full-scale restructuring of accounting hierarchies, and planning and implementing automated accounting systems transitions, and developing and performing cost capture, cost allocation, and revenue recovery accounting.
About First 5 Contra Costa
First 5 Contra Costa helps young children grow up healthy and ready to learn during the most important time in their development. We have nearly 20 years of experience funding innovative programs and advocating for policies that produce better futures for our children. Since our inception, First 5 Contra Costa has invested more than $140 million in Prop. 10 revenues to programs and services that help Contra Costa’s children get the best start in life.
Vision: Contra Costa’s young children will be healthy, ready to learn, and supported in safe, nurturing families and communities.
Mission: To foster the optimal development of our children, prenatal through 5 years of age.
Core Values: Our everyday work is grounded in our commitment to diversity & inclusion, equity, cultural humility, and community partnerships.
Learn more at www.first5coco.org.
Standard Functions and Responsibilities
• Conduct complex analysis of accounting systems to identify and document structures, functionality and integrity, and chart of account hierarchies and associated mapping.
• Test and validate new automated accounting system modules, revise chart of account hierarchies to assure ability to properly separate, capture, track, and reconcile revenues and expenditures and enable report generation at summary and detail levels. Develop systems and operating written procedures and documentation.
• Validate and document accounting crosswalks to map multiple financial, accounting, and banking systems and establish data download guidelines and schedules to automate financial report population.
• Plan and conduct forensic reconciliation of all funds, accounts, revenues and expenditures by funding stream, funding period(s), and cost category to identify unreconciled variances and exceptions, errors, omissions, shortages/overages to establish verified and documented fund balance by revenue source and funding period.
• Establish detailed written accounting procedures to document full spectrum of accounting office transactions, account reconciliation protocols, and approval parameters for transactions, exceptions, errors, overages/shortages, and corrections.
• Develop standard accounting and financial report templates for automated population by funding stream, cost category, accounting period, and exception and variance parameters.
• Provide expertise or training to other staff members, as necessary.
• Process and handle confidential information and files with discretion.
• Upholds First 5 policies and procedures
• Works independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced, challenging environment
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in accounting, or a Bachelor’s Degree in business administration, finance, or closely related field including successful completion of a minimum of 16 semester unit or 24 quarter units in the following accounting courses: Principles of Accounting, Intermediate Accounting, Advanced Accounting, Governmental Accounting, Fund Accounting, Cost Accounting, or Auditing; or possession of a Certified Public Accountant Certificate; or Master’s Degree in Accounting.
• A minimum of four (4) years of full-time increasingly responsible professional accounting experience with responsibility for complex accounting assignments requiring comprehensive understanding of automated accounting systems, analyzing and applying accounting standards, policies, procedures and regulatory requirements; planning financial systems design, modifications, and implementation; conducting financial analysis of large data sets and developing mathematical equations to establish and automate cost allocation and sharing ratio methodologies in accordance with generally accounting principles and government accounting standards.
• Three (3) of the four (4) years of experience must include verifiable experience developing financial crosswalks to map multiple financial and accounting systems, disparate charts of accounts, general ledgers, and conversion data guides and schedules; and performing financial forecasting and analytics of large data sets. Extensive experience at the senior accountant level planning, developing, and implementing new automated accounting systems, and financial systems integrity validation testing and systems reconciliation. Verifiable experience establishing accounting systems hierarchies, systems role map
• Experience developing complex journal entries, funds transfers, and other financial documents and associated documentation; analyzing, reconciling, and validating financial schedules, ledgers, funds, bank accounts and financial systems; developing and preparing depreciation schedules and revenue and expenditure schedules (current, deferred, advance, prepaid) and establishing generally accepted unreconciled overage/shortage procedures; and planning and completing financial yearend close and producing the associated closing statements and balance sheets.
• Verifiable experience applying advanced cost accounting principles to assign measurable factors and allocate costs to objects, departments, programs, projects, and overhead and indirect categories, create cost control reports and revenue claims, and develop budgetary modifications.
• Verifiable experience establishing automated accounting and fiscal document management standards and procedures for transition to paperless accounting records storage, retention, and retrieval.
• Experience performing complex validation and verification of large data sets and produce accurate and quality records and trend analysis reports using various automated systems and software applications.
• Advanced computer skills in Excel, computerized accounting systems, and state and federal expenditure recovery accounting and cost reimbursement systems.
• Self-directed, organized, effective time management skills with ability to prioritize and follow through effectively, while producing high quality work.
• Problem-solving approach, and provides consistent communication and status updates to supervisor.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Works well with a diverse group of stakeholders and is a strong collaborator.
• Valid California driver’s license and automobile insurance.
Preferred, not required
• Possession of a Certified Public Accountant Certificate or Master’s in Accounting.
• Experience working in a social service, non-profit organization or public agency.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Hourly rate is commensurate with experience. This position is not benefited; the position is eligible for sick leave.
How to Apply
Please visit www.first5coco.org for complete job description and instructions on how to apply. Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
The position will remain open until filled.
First 5 Contra Costa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.