Salary and level hired dependent on qualifications + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County Building Safety and Permits Division seeks an individual to perform experience work reviewing residential and commercial plans and specifications for general conformance with the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC), federal and state laws, and local ordinances.
Plans Examiner I: $41,428 / year or higher DOQ
Plans Examiner II: $44,545 / year or higher DOQ
Plans Examiner III: $47,898 / year or higher DOQ
- Performs a broad range of plan reviews for residential structures; assists with commercial plan review as needed.
- Reviews plans for general conformance with the VUSBC, federal and state laws, and local ordinances.
- Makes interpretations of the building, electrical, plumbing and mechanical code requirements that define approved system installations; prepares plan review letters outlining code deficiencies identified during plan review.
- Provides customer service to the general public, internal customers, and outside agencies; answers questions related to the code.
- Supports the inspectors by assuring that the approved construction documents are ready for use in the field.
- Acts as liaison between the division, general contractors, trade contractors, and property owners; acts as liaison with other jurisdictions’ inspection departments.
- Serves as a technical assistant to the County Building Official.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Bachelor’s degree in architectural, engineering technology, or related field; and, considerable experience in at least one of the following areas: building construction; building, fire, or housing inspections; plumbing, electrical, or mechanical trades, or fire protection.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 day so of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of architecture, engineering, fire protection, and building construction methods and materials; the codes, principles, techniques, and equipment used in building, electrical, or plumbing and mechanical systems; and, principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with contractors, building owners, and the public; enforce codes with firmness, tact, and impartiality.
Click here to review full job description. Accepting applications until 11:59 EST on 09/17/2021. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required in order for your application to be considered.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov