The Services to the Armed Forces (SAF) and International Services (IS) mission is to provide care and comfort to the members of the United States Armed Forces and their families. It is the impetus for the establishment of the American Red Cross (ARC). SAF at the Red Cross is a mixture of both tradition and innovation. ARC continues to provide traditional support to military families; serve in military and veterans hospitals, and conduct emergency communication. But, we also continually adapt our traditional services and create new programs to meet the needs of today’s military member, veterans and their families.
The American Red Cross is currently seeking a full-time Program Specialist in Knoxville, TN to support the Service to Armed Forces and International Services Division (SAF-IS) mission. This is a full time, salaried (exempt) position and will work Monday – Friday with occasional evenings and weekends based on business need. Day time regional travel is expected to be 10-25% per week. A valid driver's license is required!
The Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) Program Specialist assists in the delivery of American Red Cross programs and services to meet the needs of United States military members, veterans and their families in accordance with Red Cross policies and procedures. Also responsible for supporting the delivery of International Services (IS) U.S. programs and services to include International Humanitarian Law (IHL), Youth Action Campaign (YAC) and Restoring Family Links (RFL). This is accomplished through managing volunteers and working with other Red Cross departments to support strong visibility for SAF/IS U.S. in the community.
The Program Specialist will act as the first line of supervision and support to provide casework expertise and manage volunteers and other staff members during surge situations and disaster responses. Supports Disaster Cycle Services (DCS) as necessary in accordance with the DCS COOP SAF responsibilities.
1. Relationship Management and Community Outreach: Serves as the “face” of the Red Cross.
• Cultivates relationships and partnerships with external constituents in the local community, including government organizations, corporate partners, civic organizations and other community charitable and nonprofit agencies with the purpose of furthering the mission of the Red Cross. Outreach includes command meetings, education briefings, presentations or information sessions
2. Volunteer Management: Develops and implements a strategic volunteer program to engage and enable delivery of all Red Cross programs and services on a military installation.
• Recruits and trains volunteers in the delivery of SAF programs and services, Preparedness, Health & Safety Services, Disaster Cycle Services, and providing support to Armed Forces Blood Services,
• Supervises volunteer staff in their daily work responsibilities
3. Service Delivery Management: Ensures the delivery of SAF core services to all clients within their jurisdiction.
Supports other lines of ARC service to ensure the delivery of Preparedness, Health and Safety Services training, disaster preparedness and response and Red Cross Blood Services. Services may include conducting training,
meetings, presentations, and workshops as well as scheduling, recruitment, marketing and providing materials and support throughout the community.
4. Reporting & Admin Support: Monitors and reports on American Red Cross Service Delivery Outcomes.
• Interact with customers and other teams to obtain data to document outcomes and program results to ensure organizational accountability.
• Input and Evaluate Service Delivery Data for consistency completeness, accuracy, reasonableness.
• Generate data reports on a scheduled and/ or periodic basis for management or local command.
• Makes recommendations for continuous improvement to ensure metrics are consistently met.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, human resources management, community organization, social or health sciences, or related field; or relevant equivalent experience is required.
Experience: A minimum of five years related experience
Management Experience: Minimum one year of management experience is preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Requires strong computer skills. Public speaking skills and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing are required. Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in an
individual or team environment. The ability to balance multiple priorities is essential. Experience with American Red Cross programs and services is strongly desired. Familiarity with military culture, regulations and protocol is strongly
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national
origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights