Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation (VT-ARC) is a 501(c)(3), non-profit R&D organization affiliated with Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). VT-ARC is a leader in the development of innovative applied research capabilities which are having a positive impact on our clients and the world. As an organization affiliated with one of the leading engineering schools in the U.S., we work closely with academia and industry to create solutions which satisfy critical needs which encompass multiple disciplines
Applies and leads systems engineering and system integration process disciplines for wireless communications systems (voice and data) including development, engineering, testing, and acquisition. Applies communications systems, RF, propagation, and cellular technology expertise to support the execution of technical program/project deliverables and reviews for DoD and commercial clients.
- Provide Model Based System Engineering (MBSE) expertise for technical programs across the Engineering, Test and Evaluation Division
- Support MBSE activities to identify program requirements and relationships, and manage the execution of the systems engineering process, including interfaces, key performance parameters, and operational concepts
- Develop and integrate system models; incorporating inputs from stakeholder requirements, interface documentation, and related design documents
- Develop operational concepts, requirements, and architectural designs and provide oversight of junior engineers or sub-contractors performing engineering services
- Evolve system architectures, define system interfaces, conduct and analyze requirements flow down, propose verification methodologies
- Develop technical plans and schedules for system engineering tasks and participate in test programs, collection of test data, and test evaluations
- Identify measurements and performance metrics consistent with requirements to establish threshold and objective performance criteria
- Provide technology analysis and review of technical concepts, white papers, and proposals for wireless communications systems.
- Develop functional and physical system descriptions
- Promulgate system engineering standards and development standards to engineers and designers.
- Prepare and present engineering documents, plans, designs and briefings to clients
Required Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- 8 or more years of experience in systems engineering focused on wireless communications systems including SATCOM, GPS, wireless networking, LTE and similar IP technologies.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- Demonstrable knowledge in planning and executing systems engineering activities with a focus on wireless communications concepts.
- Experience with prototype development for DoD and commercial clients
- Understanding of RF propagation and modeling
- Experience developing systems engineering documentation such as SEMP, RTM, CONOPS, ADTM, Test Plans, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and teambuilding skills
- Proven ability to establish objectives, formulate plans and processes, and implement solutions.
Desired Education, Certifications, Skills, Capabilities:
- Knowledge of modern mobile cellular technologies and concepts, including Network Slicing, Network Function Virtualization, and Software-Defined Networking
- Knowledge of specific wireless network architecture components and concepts, including session management, user plane functions, and control plane functions
- Knowledge of and experience with end-to-end 4G / 5G / IOT communication layer system design
- Ability to propose or design customizations to existing wireless technologies or testbeds
- Experience with Cameo Systems Modeler and languages such as UML and DoDAF
- Experience with systems engineering technical reviews (SRR/SFR, PDR, CDR, TRR, etc.)
- Wireless network certification
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Computer Science, or related engineering discipline
- Active Secret security clearance or higher
VT-ARC is building an organizational culture marked by four primary values Teamwork, Integrity, Excellence and Service. Integral to our success is our staff’s enthusiasm for solving tough problems by working together in teams to get the job done. We also foster a culture where each’s contribution is valued and performed with integrity, while maintaining a fun work environment. VT-ARC’s very generous benefits include:
- Subsidized health and insurance plans
- Company contributions to retirement plans upon employment with 2-years vesting
- Paid time off, 10 paid holidays
- Convenient access to the Ballston Metro stations (Arlington, VA) and the VT campus (Blacksburg).
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, military status, gender, religion, age, or disability.
Virginia Tech Applied Research Corporation uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employee. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.E-Verify.gov