The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
The Sr. Volunteer Recruitment Specialist is responsible for developing and implementing broad based recruitment strategies to attract and identify Red Cross volunteers to effectively support Regional goals and mission critical activities.
1. Achieve assigned recruitment metrics that will meet specific volunteer needs identified through the Volunteer Needs Assessment tool. Emphasis placed on geography, skill sets, availability and leadership experience. Actively engage in direct, focused, targeted volunteer recruiting within the region through various resource pools, networks and social media.
2. Identify, cultivate, and maintain relationships with key volunteer recruitment agencies or organizations, market segments and other populations to recruit volunteers to meet regional recruitment metrics, and to build a strong volunteer candidate pipeline based on needs assessments. This may include leveraging recruitment venues, in-person presentations, social media campaigns and identifying user groups and professional associations which could lead to qualified candidates.
3. Partner with internal staff to strengthen existing relationships and identify and evaluate prospective new volunteer recruitment sources and partnerships within the Region.
4. Evaluate and modify recruitment strategies based on lessons learned.
5. Coach, develop and lead volunteer recruitment teams (paid and volunteers), and foster a culture of volunteerism that supports and assists in implementing regional recruitment strategies. Provide appropriate performance feedback and guidance.
6. Using the Red Cross brand, collaborate with national and regional marketing and communications teams to leverage existing or develop new recruitment materials; and create presentations to ensure maximum effectiveness for online and in-person targeted recruitment efforts.
7. Responsible for monitoring and maintaining accurate records of all potential and actual volunteer leads through the appropriate volunteer tracking tool.
8. Prepare and maintain monthly reports on specific regional volunteer recruitment activity.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Business or equivalent combination of related education and experience required.
Experience: Minimum 5-7 years related experience required.
Management Experience: Minimum 6 months supervisory experience
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency in training and presentation skills, as well as the ability to relate effectively to people of diverse backgrounds and education levels.
• Demonstrated ability to recruit diverse individuals for multiple positions.
• Knowledge of group dynamics, direct sales, customer maintenance techniques, negotiation skills, and the ability to effectively implement programs preferred.
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle multiple and continuously evolving priorities effectively are required.
• Recruiting experience or the ability to effectively communicate and represent Red Cross mission and activities in a positive and realistic manner preferred.
• Intermediate proficiency with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Team player
• Communication (written & oral)
• Presentation skills
• Building Effective Relationships
Travel: May involve travel. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required.
Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions. Will include working evenings and/or weekends occasionally.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights