Serving as the Senior Deputy to the Executive Vice President for Human Resources & CPO for the University, the Vice President (VP) is a key leader at the University level, providing leadership and direction to the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of human resource programs broadly. This role has a special focus on the Medical Center with the Healthcare CEO as the primary customer. In order to help it remain agile in a changing health care marketplace to retain its reputation as a best-in-class academic medical center and an employer of choice for the community it serves.
Working with the Executive Vice President & CPO, the VP will integrate University-wide human resources strategies, goals, and objectives into all aspects of Medical Center operations as well as integrate best practice HR into the enterprise-wide environment as appropriate. The VP provides direction and mentorship to HR leaders and staff across the University to ensure responsiveness to the development of human resource solutions.
Function/Duties of Position
- Collaborating with the University Executive Vice President & CPO, oversees and implements an HR operating plan of action at the Medical Center with performance metrics and timelines, consistent with the HR strategic plan, organizational strategies and University policy; providing leadership and management direction to direct reports, ensuring that performance standards are instituted, and that client service is responsive and effective.
- Along with Executive Vice President & CPO, assesses HR organizational structure, resource deployment, and staff performance, and aligns resources to further develop and sustain a best-in-class HR service organization; mentors and develops subordinates and future HR leaders to inspire a vision of excellence and enthusiasm throughout the organization.
- Participates as a key member of the HR leadership team, providing guidance on human resources policies, regulatory compliance, workforce development and employee engagement. Works collaboratively with others on the HR and Medical Center leadership teams to deliver excellence in service to patients, employees, and physicians while ensuring that HR is cost-effectively deployed. Keeps Medical Center leaders abreast of overall HR policies, programs, and operations.
- Brings greater efficiency and nimbleness to overall HR operations; works with the University Executive Vice President & CPO to assess, plan, and implement work processes and management information systems to promote an efficient approach to HR administration.
- Works with HR team assigned as necessary to determine HR impact of mergers, acquisitions, affiliations, or partnerships with other health care entities.
- Works closely with the Labor Relations function to manage ongoing relationships with the workforce and representative unions; partners effectively with unions and all parties involved. Along with Executive Vice President & CPO and Labor Relations, acts as contact with labor counsel and guides leadership when appropriate.
- Works with the Executive Vice President & CPO and Senior HR Leaders to lead human resource strategies, including pay practices, performance appraisal programs, safety and health programs, and employment services.
- Develops the Medical Center HR budget in conjunction with Executive Vice President & CPO, to ensure alignment with Medical Center strategy and the HR strategic plan, anticipating future human resource needs.
- In conjunction with the HR centers of excellence, ensures that HR policies, practices and benefit information are communicated effectively and promptly to employees, providing an open environment for communication with the Departments and staff.
- Advises management on disciplinary actions; approves recommendations for terminations; assures policy compliance; ensures that appeals are reviewed through established grievance procedures.
- Works closely with the Executive Vice President & CPO and the Center for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion leadership to continuously build on our efforts related to diversity, equity and inclusion with close attention given to the advancement of our equity and anti-racism plan.
- In conjunction with Talent Acquisition, ensures that recruitment and retention initiatives remain current and effective.
- Acts as a role model for customer service and quality, and embodies principles of excellent customer service, fulfilling the University’s mission and philosophy at all times.
- Assesses implementation and utilization of the performance management system to ensure fair and equitable treatment of employees and plans for individual development; collaborates with HR leaders to use the system to promote a learning culture.
- Along with Executive Vice President & CPO, promotes and improves customer service efforts and creates a best-in-class organization where the University and the Medical Center are viewed as a great place to work and preferred employer of choice; promotes trust and a high level of employee engagement; maintains the valuable sense of community connection in place today at the University and its connection with the surrounding community.
- Bachelor’s degree required. SPHR/PHR strongly preferred.
- 10 years’ experience within HR field.
- A minimum of 7 years in a senior human resources leadership role.
- 5 years in management capacity.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
- Master’s degree preferred in a relevant discipline.
- Prefer HR experience within a teaching hospital or major health system environment.
- Expertise in union environment strongly desired.
Registrations, Certifications and/or Licenses:
- SPHR/PHR strongly preferred.
Work is performed in an office environment.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.