Why Choose Us?
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. When you join our team, you have a direct impact on a meaningful mission, and you can help save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. Work where your career is a force for good.
We are committed to the diversity of our workforce and to delivering our programs and services in a culturally competent manner reflecting the communities we serve. Our work environment is collaborative, respectful, and inclusive with a focus on building allyship and a culture of belonging that empowers all team members. Come to learn, grow, and succeed while sharing your passion for making a difference.
The Red Cross supports a variety of cultural and community resource groups for employees and volunteers. From the Ability Network, our Asian American & Pacific Islander Resource Group, the Latino Resource Group, and Red Cross PRIDE, to the Umoja African American Resource Group, our Veterans+ Resource Group, and the Women’s Resource Group, these networks provide connections, mentoring and help give voice to important concerns and opinions.
At the American Red Cross, your uniqueness can shine!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (Job Overview):
When you join our team you will be utilizing your healthcare and/or customer service skills to assist with every step of the blood collection process at our fixed site locations. This includes collaborating with your team to create a welcoming and comfortable environment for volunteer donors, and following all safety procedures while collecting lifesaving blood donations that are delivered to hospitals.
The Red Cross offers paid phlebotomy training with the ability to grow your healthcare skills and career within the nation’s top humanitarian organization. To learn more about being a phlebotomist and the impact you can make in this position, watch this short video: rdcrss.org/lifesavingrole
WHERE YOUR CAREER IS A FORCE FOR GOOD (Key Responsibilities):
· Take the time to personally connect with donors – listen to their stories and help them understand how impactful their donation is.
· Collaborate with your teammates to create a welcoming and friendly environment so our volunteer donors feel comfortable coming back again and again.
· Be detailed oriented all day, every day. This ensures that the blood you collect meets goals, regulatory requirements and can be safely transfused
• To best meet the needs of our donors and community, staff work a variable schedule which may include early mornings, late nights, weekends and holidays.
• Schedule is provided 2-3 week in advance
• Starting rate $23.00. Pay may increase depending on experience.
The salary range for this position is (CA): $20.37-$27.17
Note that American Red Cross salaries are aligned to the specific geographic location in which the work is primarily performed. Other factors that may be used to determine your actual salary may include your specific skills, how many years of experience you have and comparison to other employees already in this role.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED (Minimum Qualifications):
· High school diploma or equivalent required
· Minimum of one year customer service experience in public setting required.
· A current, valid driver's license with good driving record is required.
· Basic computer skills required
· Physical requirements may include the ability to lift, push or pull heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs, good manual dexterity, the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and adapt to long, irregular hours and frequent schedule changes is required.
WHAT WILL GIVE YOU THE COMPETITIVE EDGE (Preferred Qualifications):
• Prior healthcare or phlebotomy experience (CNA, MA, EMT etc)
• Prior leadership experience
BENEFITS FOR YOU:
We take care of you, while you take care of others. As a mission-based organization, we believe our team needs great support to do great work. Our comprehensive benefits help you in balancing home and work. With our resources and perks, you have amazing possibilities at the American Red Cross to advance the learn.
• Medical, Dental Vision plans
• Health Spending Accounts & Flexible Spending Accounts
• PTO: Starting at 15 days a year; based on FLSA status and tenure
• Holidays: 11 paid holidays comprised of six core holidays and five floating holidays
• 401K with 5% match
• Paid Family Leave
• Employee Assistance
• Disability and Insurance: Short + Long Term
• Service Awards and recognition
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights