The Michigan League of Conservation Voters is seeking part-time Green Champion Canvassers to build power, presence, and relationships on behalf of our organization and to organize citizens to get involved in making the protection of Michigan’s land, air, and water a political priority.
The ideal candidates will be inspiring community leaders who are willing to participate in canvassing in support of “Green Champions” in the state legislature. This effort is the foundation of building long-lasting relationships with voters in Southeast Michigan. They will develop experience working on advocacy campaigns and will be motivated to build a strong, diverse base of supporters for action on land, air, and water issues in the region.
Green Champion Canvassers, who are based in Southeast Michigan (Oakland County, Metro Detroit, and Western Wayne County), report to the Green Champion Organizer, and will work 10 hours per week at $15 per hour from August 2 - September 10, 2021, are responsible for the following:
- Participating in door-to-door canvassing in support of Green Champions in the state legislature.
- Canvassing to highlight key legislation that protects the citizen’s right to clean drinking water, against environmental practices that negatively impact climate change, affecting public health,
- Participating in training and team meetings to improve the quality of outreach engagement,
- Working on additional projects, such as participating with the Political and Outreach team’s field phone calls into congressional and senatorial offices regarding support for President Biden’s Build Back Better Agenda.
- Be prepared to work inclement weather conditions,
- Performing daily field reports.
We are seeking candidates who excel at building genuine relationships, are natural problem solvers, and are results-driven. Candidates must live in Oakland County, Metro Detroit, or Western Wayne County. You should have:
- A winning attitude and willingness to inspire action and build a team.
- Willingness to learn the Voter Activation Network (VAN) software to record data and report canvassing results.
- Strong communication skills.
- A commitment to Southeast Michigan and addressing the local land, air and water issues impacting the region.
- A commitment to learning the political lay of the land in Southeast Michigan.
- The ability to help develop and maintain strong working relationships with teammates to encourage them to meet and exceed goals.
- The ability to work on multiple projects in a goal-driven, hard-deadline, focused environment.
- The ability to work with high-performing teams of staff that make up a rich mix of people across race, gender, sexual orientation, and other group identities.
- A belief that who we elect matters and that the protection of Michigan’s land, air and water should be a political priority.
- Willingness and ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends, and willingness to work in inclement weather conditions.
How To Apply
Please send your resume to email@example.com, and include “Green Champion Canvasser” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.