Elon University is seeing a Building Automation System Application Engineer who will be responsible for the oversight, care and maintenance of all University building automation controls and energy management controls systems. BAS controls include web-based systems and server-based systems, including but not limited to ALC WebCTRL, Johnson Controls MetaSys, Trane (Tracer, Tracker), Daikin, Mitsubishi, CentraLite, and Tridium systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for programming, graphics development, data-point tagging, and creation of front-end functions for BAS systems in new and existing buildings
- Co-monitor the operation of the BAS and HVAC systems, to include alarm package management, performance, programming, building occupancy schedules, temperature set points, lighting control schedules, submeters, histories, trends, and other systems
- Proactively pursue resolution strategies for BAS operational challenges
- Implement system optimization sequences which maximize efficiency and align with facilities operations goals and priorities
- Provide technical expertise in design development for all capital improvement projects, review BAS shop drawings for system modifications for both new and ongoing projects.
- Gain understanding of complex control sequences, design documents, and perform HVAC equipment condition assessments within existing buildings; provide project management services as necessary
- Work closely with IT staff on issues related to BAS computers and controllers
- Assist the Facility Engineer with identifying and implementing energy and cost saving opportunities (within Mechanical & HVAC operations, Electrical & Lighting systems, Plumbing & Water systems, and metering & utility usage of the campus buildings)
- Coordinate with the Utilities Director and Utility shops supervisors to assist with day to day operations, to include other duties as assigned
- Provide technical input for the development and improvement of Facilities Operations’ documents & processes as needed
- Perform field work as needed for hardware/software installation; device testing, program downloading and programming field points
- Ability to install building automation controls and energy metering with little involvement from an outside contractor, and integrate all reporting data to the BAS system
- Completes annual Applied Benchmarking project on an individual or group basis
- Provide technical expertise for managing and monitoring controls service contracts and system upgrades
- Assists with analyzing system operations by inspecting trend logs, reports, schedules, applications, hardware and programming
- Commission BAS and energy management systems
- Setup, implement, and manage the alarm text/messaging notification functions of the BAS systems
- Responsible for energy gathering devices including electric meters, n.gas meters, water meters, energy meters
- Responsible for start-up and commissioning VFDs and control actuators/valves
- Oversee ‘in-house’ controls projects, including budget management
- Troubleshoot existing systems and complete needed repairs ensuring efficient operation of control systems
- Maintain and inspect existing systems and make recommendations intended to improve the efficiency and/or safety of the system’s performance
- Perform programming procedures within the University building and facilities control systems and data acquisition software
- Responsible for programming procedures for BAS add-on systems integration; existing add-on systems include StreamSide Solution’s Events2HVAC and ALC’s Data Connector (used with Lucid Building OS)
- Respond to customer service calls
- Coordinate controls work with other trades (i.e., electricians, HVAC technicians, plumbers)
- Supports University and vendor HVAC technicians as needed with controls technical assistance
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering/Engineering Technology, or equivalent 4-yr technical degree in HVAC, Computer Science, Industrial Automation or related field or minimum 6 years of industry related technical field experience including working with HVAC systems, DDC systems, software control systems, and device calibration.
- 5 years of BAS / DDC controls experience, WebCTRL experience preferred.
- Experience with integrating equipment of one system into another control system, experience integrating to the WebCTRL system a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate, maintain and troubleshoot a variety of direct digital controls associated with a computerized energy management system.
The position will remain open until filled. To apply go to https://elon.peopleadmin.com/postings/8116. Elon University is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to a diverse faculty, staff and student body and welcomes all applicants.