Flipboard is a content discovery platform designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on the web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts, and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance the conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
At Flipboard, we are reimagining how people consume news and information in the world. The Recommendations team interprets billions of daily signals to help users navigate information overload by:
- Producing feeds tailored to users’ interests while adhering to sound journalistic principles
- Connecting users and recommending articles, videos, topics, magazines, and commerce
- Using a wide range of data-driven techniques drawn from machine learning, collaborative filtering, natural language processing, psychology, and old-fashioned straight-up product design
The team is based in Vancouver, Canada and we are fully remote during the pandemic. We are open to hiring remote engineers close to the Pacific Timezone, preferably in Canada.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Recommendations team, you will be working with an interdisciplinary group of engineers, data scientists, designers, and editorial staff to scale and develop our content recommendation products.
- This is a hands-on role: You will integrate new features and technologies into our personalization backend while keeping it performant at the scale of millions of daily active users.
- Participate in data collection, analysis, distributed architecture, algorithm development, product design, and mentorship.
- As an integral part of a data-driven organization, you will run experiments to draw insights and inform worthwhile pursuits to improve the product.
- Oversee concepts from prototype to implementation to production.
- You will have substantial independence and responsibility from day one.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant industry experience
- Highly proficient in at least two of the following: Python, C++, Java
- Solid mathematical foundation and knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Experience working with machine learning products (Recommendations or NLP preferred)
- Experience with large-scale distributed architecture and implementation
- Enjoys R&D and working on open-ended problems without clearly defined solutions
- Self-starter with excellent communication skills
- Passion for distributing high-quality, truthful, and balanced content
Nice to haves:
- AWS engineering experience
- Familiarity with digital advertising systems
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux environments
Benefits & Perks
- Canada: Our benefits include vision, dental, life, health insurance, "Employee and Family Assistance Program", plus eligibility to participate in our pension plan with an employer contribution
- All Locations: Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs | Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high-margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners, and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard-bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency, and scale of our platform.