Chief Justice and Equity Officer
Union of Concerned Scientists
The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
The new Chief Justice and Equity Officer will become a focal point for knowledge-sharing and momentum, and will help coordinate, unify, and enhance UCS’s internal and external equity and justice commitments. The Chief Justice and Equity Officer, partnering with other staff throughout the organization, will help define and implement measurable indicators for the Chief Justice and Equity Officer/Environmental Justice (EJ) progress and embed these within organizational strategic plans, performance management and competency systems, and programming.
- The Chief Justice and Equity Officer will launch and lead the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) office.
- The CJEO will report to the President and serve as a member of the Executive and Leadership teams, and as JEDI liaison to the Board. The CJEO will foster JEDI understanding, commitment, and transformation. The CJEO and JEDI office will help UCS adopt a new paradigm, in which science, advocacy, and anti-racism are integrated throughout UCS culture, campaigns, and partnerships.
- The CJEO will establish the Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) office as a valued center for learning and for evolving best practices and transformative change in systems, processes, and behaviors. The office will partner with the BIPOC, Black Caucus, White Ally & Accountability Groups, and other JEDI-engaged groups, leaders, staff, and Board members across the organization. The JEDI office will be a hub of expertise and knowledge exchange, coordination, and momentum. The office will model and impart clear expectations, accountability, and transparency.
- CJEO will foster shared definitions, visions, plans, and results. The CJEO will guide refinement and finalization of the draft Racial Equity Plan, and will develop and implement UCS JEDI strategies and norms. The CJEO will help clarify shared aspirations and expectations, and will foster deeper JEDI understanding and commitment across the organization.
- The CJEO will help UCS infuse strong JEDI practices into important systems and processes including, but not limited to, performance management, program milestones, monitoring, and evaluation. The CJEO will foster a culture of innovation and learning in which bold initiatives are piloted, rolled out, evaluated, and evolved to accomplish ongoing progress and transparency. The CJEO will help achieve JEDI results that are measurable, perceived, and experienced internally across the organization and externally, eventually across all UCS programmatic work.
- The CJEO will be an authentic, trustworthy expert able to help UCS navigate conflict to achieve breakthroughs and meaningful transformation. The CJEO will engage, listen to, and elevate people and ideas across UCS. The CJEO will be a sought-after partner, mentor, and advisor, and an accessible, frontline source of ideas and information for staff, senior leaders, and the Board.
- While the CJEO’s primary focus is internal transformation, as head of the JEDI office the CJEO will support the Director in advancing equity and EJ efforts in UCS’s external partnerships. The CJEO will help deepen UCS’s ability to bring an anti-racist lens to existing or proposed legislation, policies, communications, and relationships and partnerships with public and private entities, donors and funders, the Science Network, and other stakeholders.
- The CJEO and JEDI office will help UCS develop an aspired future, in which JEDI principles are understood, centered, and authentically lived. The CJEO will help UCS become more inclusive across all differences, including race, ethnicity, abilities, generations, genders, sexual orientations, socioeconomic and regional backgrounds—a place where each individual feel “I belong here.”
Personal Assets and Abilities:
The CJEO will have experience developing and fostering JEDI principles and capacities, with proven results, as well as passion for the mission and potential of UCS. The CJEO will have a record of advancing trust, fairness, and inclusion. Personal assets and abilities will include:
- A style that is authentic, approachable, humble, and self-confident
- Relationship-building, high emotional intelligence, and active listening skills—an inspiring, inclusive person who values all people and their ideas
- Strengths in vision, strategy, and innovation
- Skills in building consensus
- Ability to constructively and collaboratively engage in, and navigate, conflict
- Ability to clarify, communicate, and manage clear, realistic expectations
- A record of changing policies and systems to overcome marginalization
- Ability to create and balance short- and long-term progress
More about the team:
Our team is made up of a dedicated group of researchers, scientists, communicators, campaigners, and advocates from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic our staff are working from home. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. https://apply.workable.com/j/89A0A1B286
Deadline: Until filled