Title: Community Engagement Coordinator (Watershed Volunteer Coordinator)
Location: Bethesda, MD (currently mostly virtual, with regular field work in the park and watershed)
Reports to: Community Engagement Manager
Type: Full-time, Tuesdays-Saturdays
Our Mission: Rock Creek Conservancy restores Rock Creek and its parklands as a natural oasis for all people to appreciate and protect.
Job Description: The Community Engagement Coordinator leads the Conservancy’s volunteer programs to promote watershed health, including Stream Team Leaders and community science bacteria monitoring, as well as the annual Rock Creek Extreme Cleanup.The coordinator is the Conservancy’s technical expert on watershed health.
- Lead watershed health volunteer programs (‘people-powered restoration’), including Stream Team Leaders, Adopt-A-Stream, bacteria monitoring, and Extreme Cleanup, to engage community members to promote stewardship
- Empower community members to take appropriate stewardship actions relating to watershed health by building strong community relations
- Provide scientific or technical insights regarding watershed health and water quality, including analyses of volunteer and public data, responding to notifications of illegal discharges or other water quality concerns, and researching watershed health in support of Conservancy publications or efforts
- Support all community engagement programs, including leading events and field operations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Desired Skills and Expertise:
- Knowledge of the science of watersheds, particularly related to urban stormwater contexts
- Experience coordinating volunteers
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work out of doors in challenging weather conditions
- Ability to travel efficiently to work in the field with equipment in many places throughout Rock Creek Park and the Rock Creek watershed (DC and Montgomery County)
- Willingness to support regular evening work (flex time provided)
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis after April 1. Rock Creek Conservancy offers a competitive benefits package; salary range is $41,000 - $47,500. Rock Creek Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer.