Title: Congressional Champions Project Associate
Department: Government Affairs
Reports to: Congressional Champions Project Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
Location: Washington, DC
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
Salary Range (depending on experience): $50,420-$59,002
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
For more than 50 years, LCV has grown into a potent political force for protecting our planet and everyone who inhabits it. We have built a powerful national movement with 30 state affiliates, and grassroots and community organizing programs across the country.
LCV is hiring a Congressional Champions Project Associate who will work closely with the Congressional Champions Project Director to implement the project’s strategy and messaging. The Congressional Champions Project cultivates, elevates and amplifies environmental champions in Congress working to combat the climate crisis, protect clean air and water, secure environmental justice, advocate for federal conservation policies, and defend our democracy. This role will work cross-departmentally with the Communications, Campaigns, and Development teams, and partner with state affiliates to amplify pro-environment actions by their members of Congress.
- Monitor Congressional activities, social media, and press coverage in order to find opportunities to activate, amplify, and collaborate with members of Congress on climate, conservation, environmental justice, and democracy policy priorities.
- Help build relationships and amplify the leadership of Congressional champions of color, including supporting production of our annual report on Tri-Caucus leadership.
- Work with the Congressional Champions Project Director and the Development team to develop creative content for rapid response email, action alerts, online advertisements, and social media campaigns; explore new tactics and opportunities to engage with communities of color in support of Congressional champions on our priority issues.
- Draft opinion editorials, letters-to-the-editor, fact sheets, and other materials for earned media activities and events, in coordination with the Congressional Champions Project Director and the Communications team.
- Assist with grassroots and grasstops engagement activities, including in-person and virtual events, in support of Congressional champions.
- Track progress and generate detailed project reports, including updates on the project’s racial justice and equity goals.
- During election cycles, assist with social media coverage regarding LCV Action Fund candidate endorsements, as needed, and the creation of the New Member Guide publication.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Required - Minimum of 1 year experience working in digital or online advocacy. Experience working with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and any social media publishing tools. Preferred - Experience working for an elected official, candidate campaign, advocacy organization or issue campaign. Experience working with an eCRM or graphic design tools like Adobe InDesign or Creative Suite.
- Skills: Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills; well-organized; highly attentive to detail; ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced, collaborative environment; ability to multitask without sacrificing quality of work; ability to work across departments to achieve shared goals; solid political judgment; strong critical thinking skills; a sense of teamwork and community; ability to maintain confidentiality; proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Google Drive.
- Cultural Competence: Shares a commitment to advancing racial justice and equity and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Interest in environmental issues, issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Working Conditions: This job operates in a professional office environment, and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and audiovisual systems. This position is largely sedentary, often standing or sitting for prolonged periods. The person in this position frequently communicates with elected representatives and must be able to exchange accurate information. Able to occasionally work outside of regular office hours, as needed. Ability and willingness to travel up to 10% (currently paused due to COVID) for in-district events, staff retreats and conferences, as needed. This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that most LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic, through April 30, 2022.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Congressional Champions Project Associate” in the subject line by April 18, 2022. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information, or any other protected status. LCV is committed to providing access, equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.