$64,097 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County’s Financial and Management Services seeks an individual to perform advanced work developing, recommending, and managing internal and external risk management options, planning and implementing various programs and policies, and developing strategic initiatives.
- Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
- Manages Workers' Compensation program for James City County (JCC) and Williamsburg/James City Public Schools (WJCC), automobile, and general liability and property coverage; reviews adequacy of insurance coverage for protection of assets and liability exposures; recommends and purchases coverage; reviews and analyzes need for any special insurance coverage.
- Analyzes data on claims, incidents, and general operations to develop and recommend policies regarding property and liability insurance, workers’ compensation, safety, employee training, and other areas of risk management; collaborates with departments to ensure policies and best practices are followed.
- Identifies the various loss exposures confronting JCC/WJCC and evaluates the financial impact of such losses; selects the most effective methods of mitigating such risk of loss through avoidance, reduction, or prevention.
- Serves as insurance plan administrator, acts as liaison between JCC/WJCC and vendors, employees, volunteers, citizens, and the public; makes selection of insurance carriers and alternatives for WJCC.
- Oversees the Accident Review Committee and the implementation of related safety recommendations by departments.
- Establishes insurance policies and procedures including establishing Workers’ Compensation Panel of Physicians.
- Ensures claims are filed and handled appropriately; follows up with injured employees, auto, and property damage repair and subrogation flow; reviews loss runs and makes corrections.
- Reviews reports and works with insurance carrier to analyze trends and ensure encumbered monies are justified.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor's degree in risk management, business, occupational safety, or related field; and, considerable experience in insurance, safety, and risk management; supervisory and local government experience preferred.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Considerable knowledge of risk management principles, practices, and methods; insurance principles and coverage; claims handling practices; Federal and State safety standards and regulations; basic principles and practices of occupational safety; leadership techniques, principles and procedures to assign work, schedule, supervise, train, and evaluate the work of assigned staff.
- Skill in the use of computer software especially Microsoft Office suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees and the public; analyze data, graphically display statistics and trends, and prepare written and oral reports; research legal requirements and personnel practices of other organizations using the Internet; make effective presentations to groups of employees; facilitate groups or teams; work on several projects simultaneously, maintain schedules, and meet deadlines.
Accepting applications until position is filled. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required for your application to be considered.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov