Position: Associate Director of Ticket Services
Location: Glencoe/Chicago, IL (in-person)
Department: Administration / Box Office Department
Classification: Full Time
Salary Range: $44,000 – $50,000 commensurate with experience
Start Date: June 1st
- Executive Director/Managing Director, Strategy and Advancement
- Collaborates with the Director of Marketing and the Associate Director of Audience Services (ADAS)
Supervises/Manages: Box Office department/team members
About Writers Theatre
Writers Theatre (WT) is a nationally-recognized, award-winning theatre company located on the North Shore of Chicago with a pre-pandemic annual operating budget of $6.5 Million. Known for the consistent high quality and intimacy of its productions, WT is focused on the power of the written word and dedicated to the artists who bring that word to life. Having captivated audiences for years with its commitment to creating the most intimate theatrical experience possible, the theatre is now a major Chicagoland cultural destination with a national reputation for excellence, being called “America’s finest regional theater company” by The Wall Street Journal. Under the leadership of Executive Director Kathryn M. Lipuma and Interim Artistic Director Bobby Kennedy, the company is charting a path forward for its future.
- ADTS leads the Box Office team in maintaining a high level of professionalism and industry-leading customer service.
- The ADTS will advocate for the needs of the WT audience by building deep relationships with subscribers and patrons, acting as the face of customer service for WT.
- Working with the Director of Marketing (DOM), the ADTS helps set and manage earned ticket revenue strategies including but not limited to single tickets, subscription sales and benefits, and other special programs.
Box Office & Customer Service Leadership:
- Serve as the primary ticket inventory manager for the company.
- Hire, train, supervise, motivate and support a strong and strategic team.
- Schedule Box Office staff for box office shifts, will call shifts, audience engagement events.
- Working closely with the DOM and ADAS, create and ensure a streamlined and welcoming audience experience.
- Lead and supervise Tessitura and customer service training of Box Office associates. Serve as primary Tessitura superuser within the Box Office.
- Create Box Office, ticketing and customer service policies with the goal of providing industry-leading patron services.
- Work with ADAS to oversee Access programs and budgets to consistently be an industry leader in Access services. (ie. Large print programs, listening devices).
- Supervise interactions with patrons over the phone, in person and via email, as necessary.
- Resolve patron issues/complaints in a timely manner that is in keeping with organizational policy.
- Be a presence to greet patrons, customers, donors, artists and vendors.
- Maintain Box Office spaces, ensuring appropriate materials are stocked and organized at all times.
- Lead and supervise outreach to and cultivation of group sales, assisting and offering coaching as necessary.
Season Maintenance & Planning:
- Develop, maintain, and track departmental income and expense budgets; ensure accurate and timely box office records (daily, weekly, quarterly); generate specialized reports, records, and statistical data.
- Provide input on ticket and subscription pricing and packages.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Database staff to structure demand-based pricing models, sales projections and corresponding pricing to maximize revenue.
- Track and monitor ticket sale trends (single/subscription) to help the Marketing department in planning effective strategies for future subscription and sales campaigns.
- Partner with Database Administrator & Technology Manager on Tessitura operations including season setup, maintaining a clean database, and streamlined purchase paths.
- Edit marketing and advancement materials as necessary.
- Help finalize the season calendar.
Qualifications & Key Competencies
The successful candidate will have:
- Two or more years of team management experience.
- Extensive customer service experience.
- Working knowledge of Tessitura ticketing software.
- The ability to empathize with patrons and staff.
- Enthusiasm and appreciation for live theatre.
- Flexibility, creativity and poise under pressure.
- Superior organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to correctly assess priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
WT requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a term of employment.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
WT is deeply committed to creating and sustaining an organizational culture that values equity, diversity, and inclusion, as well as promoting a safe, supportive, and collaborative work environment conducive to professional and personal growth. A successful candidate will share these values.
WT is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, or veteran status.
Please find more information on our culture and specific policies at the following links:
Benefits include: medical, dental and disability insurance, vacation and other paid leave, a 403(b)-retirement plan (with employer match) and medical and dependent care cafeteria plans.
Qualified and interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and any salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Want to help us improve our hiring process? Please include where you found this job posting when you email us your materials.