Benefit Program Specialist I/II/III
$39,199 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County’s Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work reviewing and evaluating information gathered from applicants to determine eligibility for public assistance programs and services within established policies, procedures, and guidelines.
There are three levels of Benefit Program Specialist distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee:
Benefit Program Specialist I: $39,199 / year or higher DOQ
Benefit Program Specialist II: $42,028 / year or higher DOQ
Benefit Program Specialist III: $45,074 / year or higher DOQ
- Determines and re-determines eligibility of individuals and families for one or more federal, state and local financial assistance programs including: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); Medicaid for families, children, the elderly and disabled, and nursing home/community based care; Temporary Assistance for Needy Families(TANF); Auxiliary Grants(AG); General Relief (GR) for unattached children; and Energy Assistance; interprets and explains policies pertaining to financial assistance programs.
- Conducts detailed interviews on the telephone or in person to gather required information and troubleshoot discrepancies.
- Identifies and assesses customer needs to make proper referrals to various Social Services programs, such as Fraud, Children’s Services, Adult Services and Housing, as well as other community organizations, mental health, Social Security, and other organizations.
- Tracks and complies with state mandates for timeliness and accuracy compliance for all financial assistance programs; conducts detailed interviews on the telephone or in person to gather required information and troubleshoot discrepancies.
- Gathers and analyzes verification documents received for authenticity, validity and accuracy; secures and safeguards confidential information from applicants, recipients and federal reports.
- (Benefits Program Specialist III) Assists with training of staff; assumes supervisory duties in absence of supervisor; attends management meetings and public speaking engagements; assists with tracking and monitoring funds available for State, local and federal childcare subsidy budget, along with recruitment and retention of childcare subsidy vendors if assigned the Childcare Assistance program area
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in human services or related field; some human service related experience, preferably involving interviewing customers.
- Must possess or obtain within 30 days of hire a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; knowledge of basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite; State Department of Social Services computer systems; and oral and written communication.
- Ability to work independently; effectively manage multiple responsibilities; meet deadlines; exercise independent judgment and initiative; and pay attention to detail in accordance with established policies and procedures; the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to determine income.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 12/30/2022. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required for your application to be considered.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov