The Digital Communications Director will be responsible for strategizing, executing and managing NextGen’s digital media — including our social-media influencer program and online advertising — as well as overseeing our owned social media platforms, website, and organic SMS and email organizing programs. In short, this role leads all digital messaging for the nation’s largest youth voter mobilization organization and works to advance our organizing and electoral priorities.
The Digital Communications Director will be experienced in developing and managing budgets for digital media campaigns — including in partnership with external consultants and partners — and is passionate about applying that experience to youth-oriented voter-registration and mobilization. They will be creative and excited to experiment with new approaches.
The ideal candidate has a passion for politics and a belief that young people will make the difference in America’s future. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage people of diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We value and are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion as an organization--in theory and in practice--and our culture reflects that value and commitment. We are committed to furthering issues like climate change, health care, and economic and racial justice from a progressive perspective, we seek to engage the public in these areas as well as others.
This role will report to the Vice President of Communications.
This is a fully remote position with no location requirement. We encourage candidates from all locations within the United States to apply.
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Remote Position: Yes
Union Position: No
Travel Requirements: 0-10%
End Date: ‘N/A’
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Social Media + Organic Digital Organizing:
- Develop and implement digital media and organizing strategies for NextGen
- Spearhead digital campaigns via actions on our website, such as petitions and advocacy forms
- Set up phone lines and calling campaigns via digital tools
- Coordinate with field team and coalition partners to brainstorm effective and thoughtful ways to launch targeted campaigns for our audience
- Lead NextGen America’s broadcast SMS outreach to subscribers, including writing and setting up outgoing messages, launch keywords to advertise and manage SMS broadcast calendar
- Manage NextGen America’s email program by serving as lead writer, oversee checklisting/QA process and manage email calendar
- Oversee our collection of actions and voter information resources on our website
- Create & execute individualized content & social media plans for multiple campaigns
- Manage relationships with vendors for digital tools
- Review, advise, draft, and execute outbound content, web content & digital marketing plans when necessary for relevant programs
- Propose new email and digital trends that will help innovate and modernizes NextGen’s approach to advocacy and organizing
Paid Digital Vendors:
- Maintaining relationships and leading NextGen’s partnership with paid-media consultants and partners, e.g. creative consultants, media buyers, production firms, etc.
- Work with the Vice President for Communications and across the organization on polling and research efforts to inform paid-media messaging and segmentation
- Developing creative content and messaging for paid media in collaboration with internal and external partners
- Day to day management of digital and social media staff
- Report back on digital campaigns and make recommendations for how to improve products
- Drive forward rapid response components to maximize our organization's digital impact during pivotal movements for our organizational priorities
- Strengthen our ladder of engagement to convert members into volunteers and eventually donors
- Perform other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- 5-7 years of communications or digital work for political campaigns, nonprofit advocacy groups or marketing
- 3-5 years experience managing a social media/influencer team
- 3-5 years experience of general management developing the skills of a team
- 2-3 years of managing a budget
- Superior writing skills
- Demonstrated success in media planning and performance analysis
- The candidate must be a smart strategic thinker and have demonstrated experience leading digital marketing and organizing strategies from inception to completion
- Exceptional copyediting and proofreading skills
- Proficiency with advocacy CRM tools such as Blue State Digital, NGPVAN, Convio or Salsa
- Familiarity with CMS tools like WordPress and social media management platforms
- The candidate must have excellent organizational and project management skills, and demonstrate a clear ability to adapt rapidly to evolving priorities and deadlines
- The candidate must have a strong work ethic and demonstrate consistent attention to detail
- Love working in a dynamic team environment
- Be a positive, unselfish team player that sets the tone for everyone to do his or her best work
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Familiarity with graphics and editing tools like the Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with reporting and analytics tools including Google Analytics, Omniture, Facebook Analytics
NextGen America offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a very comprehensive benefits package.
ABOUT NEXTGEN AMERICA:
NextGen America is the leading national organization for engaging young people through voter education, registration and mobilization. We invite 18-to-35 year olds — the largest and most diverse generation in American history — into our democracy to ensure our government works for them and to find new solutions to the dire challenges facing our society and the world. Since 2013, NextGen America has registered more than 1.4 million young voters and educated many millions more, delivering more than the margin of victory for progressives in key races and building an electorate that will lead American politics for decades to come.