First 5 Contra Costa
Concord, CA, USA
This position will provide coaching, technical assistance and training to providers in identified early care and education programs to improve the quality of early learning programs participating in Contra Costa Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS).
Standard Functions and Responsibilities
· Provide technical assistance to licensed early care and education programs around Environmental Rating Scales, CLASS, ASQ-3, ASQ-SE, CSEFEL, and DRDP to evaluate each program’s current quality and identify areas for improvement
· Facilitate meetings with program participants to discuss the external assessments, collaborate with participants to identify strengths and challenges in their program, and develop an individualized Quality Improvement Plan (QIP)
· Provide intensive coaching, technical support, in-service training, and follow-up visits to early care and education programs to support achievement of goals identified in their Quality Improvement Plan
· Collaborate with other First 5 staff and external consultants, as needed, to ensure successful implementation of Quality Improvement Plan
· Enter descriptions of coaching activities and action plans , referrals, and other progress notes into the WELS database
· Prepare reports for each site and program data summaries as requested
· Conduct trainings for First 5 Contra Costa to further support implementation of the site quality improvement
· Assist with outreach and recruitment from early childhood care and education programs to participate in the Quality Improvement Program
· Attend agency and program meetings, as assigned
· Regularly drives and/or travels throughout Contra Costa County to perform the above job duties; driving is an essential function of this position
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in child development, early childhood education, social science or related field; Master’s degree preferred
· At least three years fulltime progressive responsibility in a public or private organization or community development agency providing direct services to early learning settings or the oversight of such services
· Verifiable experience working directly with children, families and childcare providers in an early care and education setting
· Verifiable experience conducting environmental assessments, trainings, and/or offering technical assistance to child development professionals
· CLASS reliable on all three tools (PreK, Toddler and Infant). Must maintain yearly certification
· Maintain 85% ERS inter-rater reliability in all three tools – ECERS, FCCERS and ITERS
· Principles and practices in the early childhood education field including reflective practice
· Environment Rating Scales (ECERS, ITERS, FCERS)
· CLASS, DRDP, ASQ-3, and ASQ-SE; DRDP, PITC, CSEFEL
· Applicable state laws, rules and regulations related to child care licensing
· Various adult learning styles and proven strategies for working with each style
· Basic program development, planning and evaluation methodologies
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and use of the internet for research
· Establish and maintain effective, collaborative working relationships with a wide range of professionals including but not limited to, First 5 Contra Costa staff, partnering agencies, community partners, and early care and education providers
· Coordinate and/or provide informal and formal trainings and presentations to diverse audiences
· Facilitate group meetings
· Effectively represent First 5 in meetings
· Plan, monitor and evaluate program and service delivery
· Develop and maintain data collection and reporting processes
· Demonstrate cultural awareness and sensitivity in a variety of contexts
· Work in a multidisciplinary team setting
· Think proactively, anticipate and identify problem, gather information/data to analyze situations, and develop effective recommendations and solutions
· Exercise sound judgment within generally established policies and procedures to select appropriate strategies and make and carry out effective decisions
· Communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing, to childcare providers, First 5 staff, partners and the public
· Read, analyze and interpret common professional publications, policy documents, financial reports and related business documents and information
· Demonstrate initiative and work independently with minimal supervision
· Plan and organize work to insure organizational and program goals are achieved
· Meet attendance requirements of the position
· Adapt, with minimal or no advanced notice, to changes in agency operations and work assignments or procedures
· Ability and willingness to work at sites located in high-risk, low-income communities
· Other duties as assigned
· Some weekend and evenings required
· Valid California driver’s license and auto insurance. Must provide own transportation, and be able to travel within Contra Costa County
Successful candidates must be able to pass a Live Scan background check, and provide valid proof of a negative TB skin test as a condition of employment.
Ability to speak a second language; Spanish preferred.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and expectations required of the position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
Salary and Benefits
Salary rate is commensurate with experience. This position is eligible to accrue monthly vacation and sick leave.
First 5 Contra Costa
Concord, CA, United States
First 5 Contra Costa has an exciting opportunity for a creative, energetic, and talented Deputy Director . The Deputy Director has strategic and day-to-day responsibility for all of First 5 Contra Costa’s programs, and serves as a key advisor to the Executive Director. A passion for helping young children grow up healthy, ready to learn and supported in safe, nurturing families and communities will be a defining characteristic of the candidate selected for this important role. The Deputy Director is an organization-wide leader, and is principally responsible for First 5 Contra Costa’s efforts to promote a continuum of services and supports to strengthen families and improve child outcomes. S/he leads the design and execution of First 5’s early childhood systems to align with our Strategic Plan, and contributes deep knowledge of program operations to the management of the organization. S/he ensures that the organization coordinates with partner organizations to advance system development efforts for young children and their families.
A unique mix of skills and experience is essential to ensure that programs and grant outcomes are used to inform future strategy development and support integration across four initiatives. S/he works closely with the Director of Finance and Operations, the Strategic Information and Planning Manager and the Public Affairs Manager. This position reports to the Executive Director and oversees a staff of six.
Key Attributes of the successful candidate:
A proven record as a systems thinker
A work history of successful leadership and management in high-performance workplaces known for achieving results
Initiative and self-motivation as well as the ability to lead and facilitate
A warm sense of humor and humility
Key Requirements for the position:
Master’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university in social welfare, public policy, public health, education public administration or similar field
At least 10 years progressive management experience in early childhood, education, health or similar settings.
Demonstrated success and progressive senior management experience in program planning and grants management
Demonstrated success in working with diverse partners to spread innovative and proven approaches to address organizational goals
Demonstrated ability to accurately and quickly assess problems, think critically about solutions and lead teams through problem solving
Experience developing budgets with demonstrated ability to understand and use financial reports for prudent financial management of programs
Track record of effectively working with grantees, vendors and contractors to achieve organizational goals
Demonstrated success at navigating political sensitivities and building relationships which support organizational goals
Strong professional manner, including the willingness to respect and include the perspectives of others with diverse backgrounds and experiences, to adapt to change in a transformational environment and to make productive relationships with stakeholders within and outside the agency
First 5 Contra Costa Children & Families Commission was established in 1999 to support local programs and services designed to help children 0-5 reach their greatest potential in school and life through the development of a seamless, comprehensive system of information and services. Our mission is to help children grow up healthy, ready to learn, and supported in safe, nurturing families and communities.
At First 5 we have fun helping kids! We are a family-friendly organization that employs smart, dedicated people. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including health, retirement, and generous leave opportunities.
Visit our website at www.first5coc.org for the full job description and apply now ! Please include with your resume a brief letter of introduction that summarizes why you are ideally suited to this position and why you think First 5 would be a great opportunity for you.