Operates a bus over an established route adhering to predetermined schedule in a safe, efficient and courteous manner to allow passengers to board, travel and alight at scheduled stops.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Drives bus and announces stops along routes.
Announces cross streets and intersecting transit stops.
Inspects passes; ascertains appropriate fares.
Ensures that customers deposit only appropriate coins and bills into fare-box.
Issues and receives transfer cards (collects invalid transfer cards) and receives and returns fare-cards.
Contacts Control Center regarding all problems.
Operates lift to board and discharge disabled passengers.
Inspects vehicle for lost articles.
Prepares daily trip sheets and bus for service.
Removes refuse and prepares bus for pull-out.
Tallies various categories of boarding passengers by manually operating a recording device.
Enters tally numbers from recording device at beginning and end of run.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing as mandated by the Federal Transportation Administration.
- Required to be at least 21 years of age.
- Required to have an acceptable driving record and a valid State of Illinois Class "B" Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a valid State of Illinois CDL permit with the following three endorsements: KNOWLEDGE, PASSENGER and AIR BRAKES.
- Must possess a High School diploma or GED equivalent.
- Required to be standing changing destination and bus numbers, signs, helping people board bus, to walk to relief points, checking bus and sitting while driving bus.
- Required to lift, to carry and to push of brake pedal and accelerator, windows and to pull door control latch.
- Required to climb into vehicle and adjustment of mirrors, to balance, to stoop to adjust driver's seat, to kneel, to crouch and to crawl.
- Required to reach accepting and validating transfer cards and fare cards, adjusting mirror, to handle transfer and fare cards; steering wheel, to finger operating fare box, horn, punching transfers, to feel distributing and receiving transfer and fare cards, to talk announcing streets and answering passenger inquiries, to hear listening to traffic sounds, signal requesting stops, emergency vehicles, passenger questions and radio monitor.
- Required to see near and far watching stopped vehicles, checking passes/cards and general traffic conditions viewing of traffic signals and riding passes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Possess customer service experience or skills to provide outstanding customer service to passengers.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures relative to the operation of surface vehicles.
- Must possess a comprehensive knowledge of pertinent state and municipal traffic laws.
- Must possess the skills necessary to accurately read and interpret bus schedules.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the fare structure, transfer regulations and the rules and procedures governing Bus Operators.
- Required to possess a knowledge of arithmetic.
- Required to speak in a clear and accurate manner.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge of the preparation and usage of applicable transportation forms.
Location and City
This is a bargained for position and is not subject to CTA's residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IT IS THE POLICY OF THE CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY THAT NO EMPLOYEE OR APPLICANT FOR EMPLOYMENT WILL BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BECAUSE OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, RELIGION, SEX, MARITAL STATUS, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, ANCESTRY, AGE, UNFAVORABLE MILITARY DISCHARGE OR DISABILITY. CTA WILL MAKE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR THE KNOWN DISABILITIES OF OTHERWISE QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR EMPLOYMENT AS WELL AS ITS EMPLOYEES, UNLESS UNDUE HARDSHIP WOULD RESULT. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION IN THE APPLICATION OR HIRING PROCESS, PLEASE CONTACT ARC@TRANSITCHICAGO.COM PRIOR TO THE SUBMISSION OF YOUR APPLICATION OR UPON NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ACTUAL TEST DATE. CTA WILL WORK WITH YOU TO DETERMINE IF AN ACCOMMODATION CAN BE PROVIDED.
Starting pay: $21.33 Rate to be determine by applicant's entered service date and service date in union jurisdiction of this classification.