We are looking for California-licensed Clinical Lab Scientist with experience in Blood Banking to join our Pomona Reference Laboratory team.
Job Profile Summary: This position will perform basic and guided advanced donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide intermediate reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Perform advanced manufacturing and processing procedures, as applicable. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures, Safety Quality Identity Potency Purity (SQUIPP), regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Clinical Laboratory Information Act (CLIA), and other applicable Federal, state and local regulations.
1. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
2. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
3. Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
4. Perform and interpret independent basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
5. Perform inventory management, coordination and shipment duties associated with donor product inventory including the maintenance of the exceptional and rare donor products.
6. Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
7. May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
8. Perform maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
9. May perform duties associated with document development management.
10. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
11. Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
12. May perform internal staff training and/or competency reviews, if applicable. May perform external customer education.
13. May assume lead responsibilities such as record review and training.
14. Perform other related duties as necessary.
Qualifications: Education: 4-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Experience: Minimum 5 to 7 years required
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights