America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community, leading collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American's right to vote. America Votes works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to its partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. America Votes' coalition partners advocate for a broad range of issues including, but not limited to, environmental protection, public education, human and civil rights, women's choice and labor. For more information about America Votes, visit www.AmericaVotes.org.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Emerging Leaders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes New Mexico is seeking a well-organized self-starter for a full-time position as the program director. The program director will be the keeper and coordinator of some of the most exciting progressive electoral and policy work taking place in New Mexico. The position will work directly with the America Votes team, as well as dozens of progressive partners across the state as they plan and execute electoral and issue campaigns, and will be expected to act with appropriate discretion and respect for confidentiality requirements. This position reports to the New Mexico state director.
Based in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Strategic planning assistance – support coalition partners through the development of campaign plans (electoral and issue campaigns), providing technical and organizing assistance, and responding to programmatic requests.
- Support the creation and development of written reports and products to tell the story of New Mexico and support the coalition.
- Support the creation and implementation of coalition strategy around voting rights and support partner legislative issue advocacy.
- Organize and facilitate coordinated and/or collaborative partner events, including coalition meetings, trainings and direct voter contact activities.
- Develop capacity-building opportunities for partners and work directly with the state director and data manager to assess program gaps and overlaps to maximize program impact.
- Work with partner organizations using the voter file and other technologies to support and enhance contact programs. This includes assisting partners in employing best practices.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Applicants must have a demonstrated ability to negotiate, build consensus and strategically disagree. Applicants must also be respected by progressive stakeholders and be trusted to lead.
- Ability to build strong relationships quickly and cultivate those relationships over the long term.
- Ability to manage several tasks/projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint). Excellent writing and presentation skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and oral and written communications skills, strong writing skills are must.
- Must be a self-starter; willing to work sometimes long, irregular hours and travel as needed.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or diverse communities
- Candidates should have a spirit of service and curiosity along with a diplomatic, professional approach to problem solving in work with outside partners and while working internally, independently or on a team.
- Positivity and a sense of humor.
- Ideal candidates will have experience in progressive non-profits, political campaigns or similar organizations. Ideal candidates will be familiar with canvass operations.
- Experience facilitating or working in coalitions
- Knowledge of New Mexico’s progressive organizations and political landscape and/or independent expenditure campaigns
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills
- Digital campaign experience.
Salary is commensurate with experience $50,000 - $55,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision and 401(K).