The Environmental League of Massachusetts (ELM) seeks a Manager for ELM’s clean energy coalitions. This position is located in ELM's Boston office (Beacon Hill). This position is open until filled but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
ELM is a nonprofit educational and advocacy organization committed to combating climate change and protecting our land, water, and public health. ELM is focused on environmental advocacy and strengthening the voice and effectiveness of the environmental community. By creating diverse alliances and building the power of the environmental community, we use our collective influence to ensure Massachusetts is a leader in environmental and economic sustainability.
The Clean Energy Coalition Manager reports to the General Counsel & Director of Energy Policy. This position has two primary responsibilities:
- To grow and support ELM's offshore wind coalition; and
- To oversee and coordinate ELM's Global Warming Solutions Project (GWSP).
As a key member of ELM’s policy team, the Clean Energy Coalition Manager will:
- Advance ELM’s clean energy and climate agenda. Primarily this will involve coordinating and managing outreach for ELM’s regional campaign designed to make offshore wind the dominant new energy source in New England. Some key responsibilities will include:
- Managing and coordinating communications with affiliate organizations across New England.
- Expanding the offshore wind coalition and maintaining relationships across a wide range of stakeholders in New England.
- Assisting ELM’s Director of Corporate Engagement with targeted outreach to corporate partners as needed.
- Assisting ELM’s Legislative Director and Action Fund Executive Director in outreach to elected officials and labor partners as needed.
- Manage the GWSP, a diverse stakeholder network committed to ensuring MA meets its legally mandated greenhouse gas emissions reductions targets under the Global Warming Solutions Act. This will include:
- Shaping the GWSP’s policy agenda, organizing and co-facilitating quarterly meetings, and managing outreach and communications to member organizations.
- Preparing materials summarizing GWSP activities for various audiences.
Additional responsibilities include writing and coordinating project reports, developing/filing proposals, and scheduling and facilitating meetings. Occasional travel around Massachusetts and New England.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of experience in coalition management (environmental field and Master’s degree preferred).
- Knowledge in the areas of energy policy (including offshore wind) and climate change.
- Exceptional written/verbal communication skills, including meeting facilitation.
- Self-starter, ability to manage multiple tasks, priorities, and deliverables simultaneously.
- Experience coordinating and facilitating meetings and networks of people. A "people person" who works well with others and has a good instinct for outreach.
- Knowledge of MA (and regional) climate policies, programs, and initiatives (desired).
- Familiarity with environmental advocacy community, particularly key players/organizations, in Boston/MA (desired).
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with qualifications. ELM offers competitive health, vacation, and sick leave benefits.
Send cover letter and resume via email to ELM at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may address your letter to Eric Wilkinson, ELM's General Counsel and Director of Energy Policy. This position is open until filled but we encourage interested applicants to apply as soon as possible.
ELM is an equal-opportunity employer and we strongly encourage applications from all interested candidates. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, creed, religion, personal appearance, national origin, citizenship, age, gender, or sexual orientation.
General-Other: Project-Program Management, Environmental Protection-Conservation