We are looking for an CA-Licensed Clinical Lab Scientist with experience in Blood Banking, to join our Pomona Reference Lab. This will be a Baylor shift position, with extensive training (several months) on 1st shift. This position is represented by a union contract.
1. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples. Assist in daily workflow of patient and donor work. Documents supply and equipment problems.
2. Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
3. Perform and interpret basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem. Assist Technologist I and II in problem resolution.
4. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
5. Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
6. Perform maintence, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
7. Perform duties associated with document development and management.
8. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
9. May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
10. Perform duties associated with document management.
11. Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
12. Assume lead responsibilities such as record review and training. Assist in concern management.
13. Perform staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Perform external customer education.
14. Perform other related duties as necessary.
Education: 4-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
Experience: Minimum 7 to 10 years required
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work Conditions: Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights