Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management has an exciting opportunity for a Gas Operations Supervisor to oversee the gas collection operations and gas technicians at the landfills in Western Bercks, Cumberland County and Lancaster, PA. The Gas Operations Supervisor will assist with regulatory compliance, environmental protection, monitoring, and construction.
I. Job Summary
This position reports to the Area Gas Operations Manager (AGOM) and is responsible for the operation and maintenance of landfill gas collection and control systems (GCCS) including the supervision and direction of Gas Technician I and Gas Technician II positions as well as contractors.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The individual must have the ability to work independently without direct supervision. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to supervise the work efforts of others and perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned and vary by location.
- Properly operate and maintain GCCS in a timely and cost effective manner to ensure regulatory compliance and optimize performance.
- GCCS operation and maintenance includes:
- Calibrate, operate and maintain sensitive electronic data collection devices necessary to optimize LFG collection from the wellfield.
- Collect and manage data entry from environmental monitoring locations.
- Implement and manage the GCCS preventative maintenance plan.
- Operate and maintain liquid management system pneumatic or electric driven pumps (troubleshoot and determine liquid heights within liquid containment structures and or LFG collection wells).
- Perform wellfield valve/vacuum adjustments, data collection and maintenance; interpret data
- Use Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC) or High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) piping materials and associated equipment to perform maintenance on piping materials.
- Monitor opacity (visible stack emissions) where required
- Troubleshoot GCCS and related systems
- Supervise gas technicians; delegate work assignments
- Train gas technicians on GCCS operations and maintenance activities; mentor and evaluate technician proficiency
- Manage/supervise contractor activities
- Provide project management support to the AGOM for GCCS design and construction.
- Participate in the development of LFG related capital and expense budgets.
- Review and analyze GCCS operating data and prepare reports; mentor technicians on same
- Implement all job related health and safety requirements and procedures.
- Be available for on-call response (physically on site or by phone as required) to GCCS related malfunction events.
- Work varies from data analysis and project management in an office setting to hand on gas construction and well monitoring outdoors in all four (4) seasons.
- Travel will be required to all three landfill locations.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
- Indirectly supervise operations of Level I and II Gas Technicians (up to 2-4 employees).
The requirements listed below are representative of the qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: High school diploma (accredited) or GED.
- Experience: 5 years of GCCS operations experience (in addition to education requirement).
- Previous experience in landfill gas construction and/or monitoring preferred
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid and unrestricted driver’s license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Proficiency in electrical. mechanical and HDPE pipe work
- Advanced computer skills (i.e., email, web browser, Microsoft - Windows Excel and Word)
- Excellent mechanical and technical skills/aptitude
- Ability to optimize the performance of GCCS
- Thorough familiarity with the operation of gas collection and combustion devices with the ability to troubleshoot this equipment remotely
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Normal setting for this job is: office setting 40% of the time and outdoors 60%
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
Systems-Process Engineering, Environmental and Geological Engineering, Environmental-Geological Testing & Analysis, Environmental Protection-Conservation