Rapid Response Manager, War Room
- Reports to: Director of Digital Engagement, War Room
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: War Room
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
With Americans facing an increasing onslaught of news and media content, it has never been more important to amplify progressive policies and build up the necessary communications infrastructure to break through the noise and reach key audiences—and American Progress is committed to leading the way.
American Progress has an immediate opening for a Rapid Response Manager to join the War Room. The Rapid Response Manager should have a keen understanding of how content gets disseminated across digital platforms, how to quickly and effectively draft and produce content that is tailored to and can break through in a fast-paced news cycle, identify rapid-response engagement opportunities, and execute on multifaceted digital communications campaigns.
Strong applicants for this position are highly-organized and detail-oriented with strong writing and communications skills as well as finely tuned digital instincts. American Progress is looking to hire someone who can do a lot more than copy and paste talking points into tweets or email drafts. This person should be excited by the challenge of producing engaging, compelling content that helps advance American Progress’ goals and meets target audiences where they are in terms of tone, substance, and platform.
The ideal candidate must be comfortable working both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment where they will need to multitask, set priorities, and quickly produce engaging content. Political acumen, sensitivity to the complexities of policy issues, and the ability to engage with communications and policy experts are musts.
- Work closely with the Director of Digital Engagement, Email Manager, and Social Media Manager to plan, draft, and produce compelling content for the War Room’s social media and email channels that reinforces American Progress’ brand and amplifies key messaging.
- Develop and implement engagement strategies that effectively tie rapid-response moments to American Progress’ core issue priorities and campaigns.
- Monitor, clip, draft, and distribute content around live events, including congressional hearings, presidential, or administration events, debates, trials, and more.
- Monitor social discovery tools and stay attuned to current events in order to identify strategic engagement opportunities.
- Connect trending content with meaningful opportunities to take action.
- Work with the Email Manager to plan, draft, and produce timely action alerts, fundraising emails, newsletters, and other emails and online actions that respond to relevant events in the news cycle and relate to American Progress’ priority campaigns.
- Actively participate in and contribute ideas to team brainstorms and planning meetings.
- Help monitor and manage American Progress’ direct message relationships with progressive partners.
- Identify opportunities for engagement with other progressive brands and individuals.
- Reply to and engage with community members.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least three years of professional experience in social media, email, or digital communications, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Excellent writer with strong proofreading skills and sound editorial and ethical judgment.
- Strong ability to quickly synthesize complex policies and important political moments into content and engagement opportunities.
- A track record of running successful social media campaigns.
- A strong understanding of Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Familiarity with social media listening and analytics platforms such as CrowdTangle, NewsWhip, Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, etc.
- Familiarity with CRMs such as EveryAction, Blue State Digital, ActionNetwork, or Engaging Networks.
- Experience using live video clipping tools such as Snapstream is preferred.
- Experience setting up, coding, and sending mass emails using basic HTML is strongly preferred.
- Experience working in fast-paced advocacy or electoral environments.
- Experience deploying timely content during rapid-response scenarios.
- Detail-oriented with an ability to juggle multiple projects for different stakeholders.
- Open to developing new skills and experimenting with new strategies and tactics.
- A positive team player with a passion for progressive change.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $60,000.