Worcester County Food Bank (WCFB) believes that food is a fundamental right of all people and that hunger is an issue of social justice. WCFB’s mission is to engage, educate, and lead Worcester County in creating a hunger-free community. To that end, WCFB collects perishable and non-perishable food and distributes it through a network of Partner Agencies, including food pantries and community meal programs, trains Partner Agencies in food safety, and advocates for systemic and sustainable solutions to support children, families, and senior citizens in being more food secure and healthy.
The Community Engagement Associate is a full-time, non-exempt (hourly) position that reports to the Agency Relations Manager. This position works closely with all WCFB departments (Advocacy, Agency Relations, Development, and Operations) on building and expanding our volunteer engagement and representing WCFB in the community. This position works closely with the WCFB Operations department to ensure safe food sorting practices within the WCFB Warehouse.
In the case of a local, state, or federal emergency, WCFB is an essential organization and so this position is essential and will be called upon to perform essential duties in order to carry out the mission of WCFB. This position is 100% on-site at WCFB.
Volunteer Outreach, Engagement, Coordination
- Coordinate and conduct outreach, recruitment, orientation, training, and scheduling for individual volunteers as well as volunteer groups.
- Be the main point of contact for all WCFB Volunteers, answering questions and queries from current, former, and interested new volunteers.
- Coordinate volunteer schedules to ensure safety within the Warehouse sorting area and to maximize volunteer time, abilities, and strengths.
- Develop and implement volunteer recruitment strategies based on needs of WCFB, (when new volunteers resume).
- Liaise with appropriate staff to ensure quality standards for work performed by volunteers.
- Oversee volunteer training program and materials, utilize an active system for monitoring and evaluation.
- Collect and maintain volunteer data and report on volunteer data as required by various departments, including using Donor Perfect software.
- Work across all departments to understand current and evolving need for volunteers and manage recruitment and scheduling in response to those needs.
- Maintain Volunteer Center to create a welcoming, engaging space for volunteers in the Warehouse.
- Work with appropriate staff to plan and coordinate special volunteer projects, such as creating food boxes for special populations, and projects for volunteer groups when appropriate.
- Plan and implement volunteer recognition activities and events that honor the valuable time and effort volunteers contribute to WCFB.
Other Community Engagement
- Represent WCFB at appropriate events such as health fairs, volunteer fairs, and other events that could involve tabling or informational presentations, (online or in-person when appropriate and safe).
- Support the Community Tours program, including maintaining talking points and scheduling staff tour leaders, (when Community Tours resume).
- Support staff in responding to requests for educational presentations for community organizations, schools, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Essential Work
- Provide customer service in response to incoming phone calls and visitors; transfer calls and refer visitors according to the WCFB Referral Guide.
- Respond to requests for Food Assistance, in person or via phone or email, to ensure people throughout Worcester County have access to immediate food needs.
- When needed, help sort donated food to support Partner Agency access to high-quality food products.
- Demonstrated 1-2 years’ experience in volunteer coordination and/or management.
- Friendly, professional, and highly organized, with demonstrated outstanding customer services skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as individually.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Willingness to learn the WCFB approach to volunteers, food assistance, and other essential duties.
- Ability to keep good electronic records of work using Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Office and other applications.
- Solid knowledge of various computer applications including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and database systems. Experience with or willingness to learn Donor Perfect Database.
- Food Safety background desirable, including but not limited to Servsafe certification desired but not required. Servsafe certification included as part of on-the-job training.
- Bilingual/bicultural a plus, but not required.
- Access to reliable transportation and safe driving record.
Pay Range: $15.00 - $18.00/hr. Status: Full Time - Non-exempt
How to Apply: A formal cover letter is required for consideration.
- Online at hirelatinos.com or
- E-mail HR@foodbank.org (subject line: “Community Engagement Associate”); or
- Mail cover letter and résumé to Worcester County Food Bank, Attn: Lara Greene, 474 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA 01545.
WCFB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status.
We strongly encourage people of color, women, LGBTQ + individuals, people with disabilities, and people living with or lived experience of poverty to apply.