Associate Director/Director, Workforce Development Policy
- Reports to: Vice President, Economic Policy
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Economic Policy
- Position classification: Exempt, full time; Nonunion - Level 6
- Minimum compensation: $75,000/$90,000
American Progress has an immediate opening for an Associate Director or Director of Workforce Development Policy. The ideal candidate is widely experienced in the area and is familiar with existing federal and state training and workforce development approaches; efforts to improve the quality of work and pay in low-wage sectors; and strategies for using federal and state funding to invest in sectors that promote other progressive goals, such as the caregiving economy or green jobs. This person will have a demonstrated ability to develop and advocate for progressive ideas that build equity and improve job quality, economic mobility, and the overall competitiveness of the U.S. economy.
- Conduct original research and analysis of workforce development issues.
- Connect workforce development to federal relief and investment efforts to grow the economy overall, with a particular eye toward investing in key sectors and centering the groups traditionally excluded from high-quality, high-wage employment.
- Develop, implement, and manage the production and distribution of policy portfolios and products.
- Assist in the coordination and planning of meetings and events.
- Maintain expertise in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Manage and supervise staff as needed, either directly or on tasks and projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- At least seven years of professional experience for the Associate Director and at least eight years of experience for the Director is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, with an advanced degree in a related field, such as economic policy, quantitative analysis, or the administration and provision of government services, is preferred.
- Ability to work well on a team and to convene stakeholders with different interests.
- Flexibility as a teammate, particularly in connecting elements of workforce policymaking to other policy issues and in working toward broader economic policy goals.
- Effective project management skills and the ability to manage and mentor staff.
- A commitment to equity in policymaking.
- Ability to understand economic issues and to communicate them effectively.
- Comfort working under pressure and tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask.
- Proven ability to manage consultative process.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills.
- Nonprofit experience—with either 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) organizations—or policymaking experience is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The starting salary for the Associate Director position is $75,000. The starting salary for the Director position is $90,000.