Email Marketing Manager
- Reports to: Vice President, Digital Strategy
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Digital Strategy
- Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 4
- Minimum compensation: $56,000
American Progress is seeking an Email Marketing Manager to help promote progressive policies and ideas among targeted audiences. The Email Marketing Manager will be a part of the Digital Strategy team, which is responsible for marketing American Progress’ work to highly segmented audiences, including elected officials; national, state, and local advocates; policy organizations and think tanks; and more.
The ideal candidate is a team player who has experience in online communications and an interest in leveraging email to grow, educate, and engage audiences. American Progress is looking for someone who understands the technical and design aspects of email marketing as well as the use of email to reach different audiences effectively. This person must be a fast learner who is passionate about progressive values, has excellent attention to detail, and is skilled at managing multiple tasks in a demanding and fast-paced environment.
In a cover letter, the applicant should describe their experience working in online communications, including which email marketing software, databases, or other tools they have used. They should also state the extent of their HTML abilities.
- Draft audience-appropriate summary text to market American Progress’ work and code emails in HTML based on templates—including image cropping if needed—for a variety of email types, including newsletters, event invitations, report releases, and more.
- Produce email-related landing pages for campaigns, such as advocacy forms, and assist in production of other digital marketing vehicles such as lightboxes and other email sign-up forms.
- Manage the email send process from start to finish, working with several teams to finalize content, quality assurance, and schedule.
- Assist with audience segmentation for email sends.
- Manage scheduling and strategy of individual email programs within the overall American Progress email calendar—such as specific policy team newsletters—in collaboration with other email schedulers and stakeholders.
- Assist with keeping the email calendar up to date with current statuses.
- Collaborate closely with teammates to translate policy ideas into email marketing and maintain American Progress’ high-quality email production process.
- Conduct ongoing trainings of staff in the use of Engaging Networks, including crafting and maintaining the training program and materials.
- Maintain the Engaging Networks user community to foster peer-to-peer knowledge-sharing, best practices, and inspiration.
- Monitor main American Progress reply inboxes, fulfill unsubscribe requests, and conduct other list health tasks as needed.
- Work with the Manager of Digital Audience Retention and Engagement to train and support American Progress marketing platform users and maintain the marketing platform user community (internal).
- Represent the Digital Strategy team in trainings and meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Four to six years of experience in online communications and email marketing, ideally at a nonprofit, public policy, or political organization.
- Working knowledge of HTML to produce emails, landing pages, and similar outputs based on designed and established templates.
- Experience working with an email marketing platform such as Engaging Networks, MailChimp, Constant Contact, Salsa, or EveryAction.
- Experience with metrics reporting with particular emphasis on outreach effectiveness, but also digital marketing metrics more generally.
- Ability to craft messaging for different marketing needs, including report summaries, action campaigns, and fundraising.
- Superb attention to detail.
- Experience and skill in managing multiple tasks and projects over a tight timeframe while producing high-quality results such as campaign launches, email newsletters, other sends on regular schedules, and event marketing.
- Ability to think on their feet and make tricky judgment calls on a regular basis, such as scheduling email releases vis-à-vis events in the news cycle in collaboration with colleagues bringing a variety of expert perspectives.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including proofreading skills.
- Self-starter able to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Commitment to the values and ideals advanced by American Progress.
- Knowledge of email design best practices; CSS experience; knowledge of website analytics and digital marketing; experience with Salesforce or similar customer relation management software; Photoshop or other image editing experience; and familiarity with progressive public policy are not required but are a plus.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefits packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position has a starting salary of $56,000.