***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
1. Comply with applicable Federal, State and local regulations as well as all American Red Cross policies, procedures and guidelines.
2. Perform whole blood collection procedures (allogeneic, autologous, directed, therapeutic). Performs donor health history screening procedures.
3. Conduct donor greeting, processing and packing blood, and donor reaction care as assigned.
4. Perform daily function checks, assemble and maintain supplies and equipment to ensure a state of readiness and to maintain compliance.
5. Function with team effort to ensure efficient donation process focused on donor and sponsor expectations. Maintain positive public relations to promote a professional image.
6. May operate ARC vehicles. May transport supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance. May operate assigned vehicle according to applicable regulations. Collections Staff that is hired with DOT driving responsibilities will perform vehicle checks and complete DOT paperwork per established protocol.
7. Load, set up, maintain and tear down supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance.
8. Complete required readings and training assignments by assigned deadline.
9. Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
May drive ARC vehicles throughout the blood region to collection sites, set-up and tear down and provide other related donor and operation support. Will have frequent external customer (donor and sponsor) contact.
Balance production, customer service and compliance on a daily basis, ensuring integrity of product and optimum donor experience. As an integral link between donors and ARCBS, portray a commitment to customer service by conveying and demonstrating a consistent style of professionalism.
High school diploma or equivalent required. Medical assistant or phlebotomy training preferred. Customer service experience, effective verbal communication, and public relations skills are required. A current valid driver's license and good driving record is required. Previous truck and/or bus driving experience is desirable. Collections Staff that is hired with DOT driving responsibilities will be required to pass DOT physical and related requirements and be able to posses or obtain a medical certification of at least one year duration. Basic computer skills desirable. Applicable local licensure if required by state directives.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
The duties above indicate the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Physical requirements may include the ability to lift up to 50 lbs., squatting, push or pull heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs, good manual dexterity, the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and adapt to long, irregular hours and frequent schedule changes is required.
At the American Red Cross, we conduct many mobile blood drives at businesses, schools and many other locations. All staff work as a team to setup and tear down the equipment required to conduct a mobile blood drive. This involves pushing carts up to 250 lbs., setting up beds and handling many totes containing equipment and snacks for the donors.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure determination I in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights