Summary Of Position:
The payroll administrator is responsible for the day-to-day payroll operations and ensuring the University is in compliance with policies and legal requirements. The payroll administrator serves as the subject matter expert and escalation point to resolve payroll related issues.
* Bachelor's degree preferred
* CPP designation (Certified Payroll Professional) preferred.
Full Time/Part Time: Full-Time Regular
Degree/Major: BS or BA in Accounting, Business Administration, Business Management or related field
Length Of Experience:
* Minimum of 7-10 years payroll experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Updates all payroll increases and benefits as provided by Human Resources annually and other individual increases as approved and requested monthly, reviewing appropriate forms for completeness.
* Participate in Colleague implementation for payroll enhancements, position control and position management.
* Assists in maintaining the payroll system, including reporting, trouble-shooting/resolving processing issues, periodic software updates, and configuration updates as a result of tax/compliance changes or process improvements.
* Performs complex payroll functions, which may require resolution of problems, fiscal analysis, and reconciling conflicting policies and procedures.
* Ensures the accurate and timely processing of faculty, staff and student payrolls and maintenance of records by reviewing and supervising the work of the Payroll Analysts.
* Audits monthly payroll data to confirm accuracy of payments and transmits to Human Resources for a second review for accuracy prior to transmittal to Bank of America.
* Reconciles each pay period for month to date and quarter to date, balancing in preparation for processing annual W-2s.
* Supervises the hourly payroll analyst and assists in assigning routine and project work.
* Update all tax tables for the new calendar year, including federal and all states where Elon employees physically work.
* Completes annual and quarterly state and federal payroll tax filings.
* Identifies process improvement initiatives and defines standards for new processes.
* Implements quality control measures and proper internal controls.
* Covers for team members in back-up role for vacation and/or high-volume workload.
* Responds to inquiries from faculty, staff and student employees and resolves issues as they arise.
* Works closely and maintains a collaborative working relationship with Human Resources to ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
* Partners with members of Finance and Administration, including Human Resources, and the department of Information Technology in resolving issues and refining processes.
* Maintains strong knowledge of current payroll and applicable tax laws through self-study or conferences.
* Other payroll related duties as assigned.
Elon University has built a national reputation as a premier student-centered arts and sciences university that values strong relationships between students and their faculty and staff mentors. Elon is ranked among the top-100 National Universities by U.S. News & World Report, with a No. 1 ranking for excellence in undergraduate teaching and No. 9 for innovation. Global engagement is central to Elon's experience and the Institute of International Education has ranked the institution No. 1 in the nation for study abroad for 16 straight years.In addition, Elon is the only university in the nation ranked in the top-20 by U.S. News for excellence in all eight academic programs "Focused on Student Success." Elon's more than 7,000 students prepare to become the resilient, ambitious and ethical leaders the world needs, putting their knowledge into action on campus, in the community and around the globe.