Family Services Specialist I/II/III (Adult Protective Services)
$45,704 - $52,339 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County’s Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work providing support and assistance to agency customers with personal, social, health, and economic needs; counsel clients, make referrals, determine eligibility for social services, and serve as liaison between clients and ancillary agencies providing services.
There are three levels of Family Services Specialist distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Family Services Specialist I: $45,704 / year or higher DOQ
Family Services Specialist II: $48,903 / year or higher DOQ
Family Services Specialist III: $52,339 / year or higher DOQ
- Counsels and provides services to families and individuals by focusing on family preservation and reunification; monitors progress of customers; implements court ordered services; works with families to prevent crises.
- Provides protective services to children, the elderly, and the disabled in the community; secures the well-being of children, older adults, and families; removes victims from homes if necessary; provides after hours on-call services and emergency intervention.
- Manages assigned caseload by maintaining files, telephone contacts, referrals to private vendors for services, and preparing documents.
- Conducts field visits to schools, homes, and hospitals; makes referrals; coordinates with law enforcement and school personnel; makes serious and complex decisions and defends them in court.
- Makes referrals for services by being knowledgeable of local services and resources, working with service providers in the community, serving on interagency service assessment teams; serves as client advocate in accessing services and working with other agencies such as schools, courts, and mental health professionals.
- Provides assessment and case management for customers; develops and implements service plans to address family and individual needs.
- Provides 24-hour on-call responsibilities and is trained to provide emergency interventions.
- (Family Services Specialist III) Assists in case-related situations; represents the agency by actively serving on local, regional, and state workgroups and taskforces; provides trainings for agency staff and/or community partners; covers cases during absences, leave and vacancies.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in human services or related field and some related human services experience.
- Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to analyze and use judgment in accomplishing diversified duties; think independently within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until filled. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required for your application to be considered.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov