Flipboard is the world’s first social magazine, designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
At Flipboard, we are re-imagining how people consume media. The quality assurance team helps the rest of our engineering team bring readers, curators, publishers, and advertisers the best possible user experience across our products.
Quality assurance at Flipboard is highly collaborative, but engineers also have substantial independence and responsibility over the systems their teams maintain. The systems you build and test will scale to millions of daily active users with different needs. You will have the opportunity to contribute to our codebase and our product development process from day one.
The Flipboard team is currently working remotely. Join our team and work from the US or Canada.
Role & Responsibilities
- Work with stakeholders in engineering, design, support, product, and other relevant divisions to execute robust testing methodologies and build best practices to ensure high-quality product releases in suitable timeframes
- Define, drive, and reflect on the QA process across product development teams in mobile, web, and backend environments while remaining flexible to individual team needs
- Provide technical QA expertise and leadership, advising others on the engineering team and working with managers to roadmap and plan QA priorities
- Participate in product, design, and engineering review and sync meetings to determine product status, issues, prioritization, and needs
- Assess potential risks to ensure shipping features with a high quality bar
- Work with our People team and our senior leadership to build out the rest of the quality assurance team
- Collaborate with engineering and IT teams in order to manage physical and manual test device inventory and stay in tune with new software and hardware developments in the tech industry.
Required Skills & Experience
- Five years experience in quality assurance or comparable software development experience (e.g. software product development)
- One year or more experience leading a technical project or team
- Experience with one or more object-oriented programming language
- Working knowledge of kanban, mobile software development lifecycles, and QA methodologies
- Hands-on experience with test planning, test designing and execution, performance and stress testing, implementing and maintaining quality test automation of both client and server systems
- Knowledge of and experience with industry standard test automation tools & automation frameworks. Should have experience with end-to-end, regression, unit, integration, and component testing in particular.
- Experience reading and writing technical documentation and specifications
- Experience testing at least one mobile environment (iOS or Android) and web applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Desire to work in a fast paced, demanding and highly collaborative environment
- Interest in the publishing or advertising industries
Nice to Haves
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related technical field, equivalent industry experience, or professional certificates
- Experience with continuous integration (e.g. Jenkins) and scripting languages (e.g. bash/shell, Python, Ruby, etc.)
- Experience in advertising technology
- One year or more of people management experience within the tech industry
Benefits & Perks
Our benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance; flexible and generous "out of office time” for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation and wellness, in addition to a mid-year and end of year break, totaling 10 days. We also offer an employee assistance program, plus eligibility to participate in pension (CAN) or 401k (US) plans with an employer contribution.
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach passionate communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diverse backgrounds, beliefs and experiences of our team members, and we are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.
Flipboard is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Flipboard is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected characteristics.