Protect Democracy seeks an IT Manager to join our team. In this newly created role, you will work with staff from across the organization and our external IT service provider to envision, propose, and implement technological solutions to advance Protect Democracy’s programmatic and operational objectives, while maintaining and improving on existing systems.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor all of our work in service of our mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the best-in-class technology to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
This is an excellent opportunity for a highly organized and creative IT project manager who is eager to take ownership of a growing organization's IT strategy and priorities. Experience working with virtual technology and/or cyber security in Apple and Google Workspace environments is highly preferred. Commitment to our mission and a passion for defending and strengthening our democracy are essential.
We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply. You can work remotely from any location in the United States, with a preference for candidates located in or near the Washington, DC area.
The IT Manager will:
- Manage, delegate to, and coordinate with our external IT service account manager and help desk on long-term strategic projects and routine data and infrastructure maintenance;
- Assist staff in transitioning to new processes or cloud-based service platforms that promote automation, reduce redundancy, and advance mission;
- Manage the procurement, deployment, and security of organizational Apple technology and continuously improve on our existing asset management strategies;
- Identify and work with external vendors on organizational security assessments and audits as needed;
- Administer our Google Workspace instance, proactively seeking opportunities to make our work more efficient, effective, and secure;
- Establish, implement, and iterate on IT operational procedures and policies (e.g. data loss prevention, disaster recovery, and software installation), ensuring compliance with legal requirements, regulation changes, and industry best practices;
- Support and oversee the deployment of cyber security trainings and phishing and smishing tests;
- Create and deliver informative, digestible communications to staff and consultants regarding technology and security updates;
- Support onboarding of new staff through technology resources and trainings.
To be successful in this role, you should have:
- 7+ years experience with IT deployment and strategy in a virtual or hybrid work environment that includes staff working from offices and from home;
- 5+ years hands-on cybersecurity experience (e.g. responsibility for elements of an information security program such as vulnerability/risk assessment and management);
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to coach and guide people through technology-related issues;
- Ability to critically evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, proactively reconcile conflicts, and distinguish requests from true needs;
- Ability to track, prioritize, and balance a diverse set of responsibilities across multiple projects simultaneously;
- Ability to foster collaborative relationships and work in a team environment with people with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives;
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution;
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways;
- Passion for protecting and improving our democracy.
Pluses, but not requirements:
- IT experience in a non-profit or legal environment;
- CISA, IT Support or Help Desk certification (e.g. ITIL, Google IT Support, Comp TIA or MCSA).
The starting salary range is $88,134-$103,688 for mid-career candidates (typically with 7-11 years of experience) and $126,116-$148,373 for more experienced candidates (typically with 12+ years of experience). Where a candidate falls within the salary range is determined by a number of factors including the relevant experience, capabilities and skills a candidate brings, and internal organizational equity.
About Protect Democracy
- Flexible location. You can work remotely from any location in the United States, with preference for candidates in or near Washington, DC. The essential requirement is that your location be one that allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and elsewhere around the country. Prior to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, we offered shared workspaces in those locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment, and we are reopening our workspaces in line with current guidance.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes an unlimited vacation and sick leave policy, along with 12 paid holidays, 4 weeks of paid family medical leave, and 18 weeks of paid parental leave. We also offer a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please complete the application linked below. As part of your application, you will be asked to upload your resume and cover letter as a single PDF. (Applications missing any of the required materials will be considered incomplete and not reviewed.) Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.