Protect Democracy is seeking multiple Operations Associates to join our highly collaborative team and assist in scaling the processes and procedures of a rapidly growing nonprofit.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the operational foundation to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
This is an excellent opportunity for a candidate who is eager to tackle operational challenges head-on and assist with scaling systems and processes of a mission-driven organization. The ideal candidate brings exceptional detail-orientation and communication skills; a flexible, growth-oriented mindset; and enthusiasm for our mission. We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum to apply.
We plan to hire multiple Operations Associates, and will determine portfolios based on candidates’ experience, interest, skills, and organizational need. We do not expect that any one candidate will have all of the experiences or take on all the responsibilities listed below. Most of our Operations Associate positions are based in Washington, DC, but we will consider fully remote candidates for our knowledge management and systems portfolios.
The Operations Associates will:
- Collaborate with colleagues to support technical, compliance, facilities, logistics, security, knowledge management, and finance workstreams.
- Independently identify ways to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s operational framework by examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making concise, realistic recommendations.
- Help ensure Protect Democracy’s legal, fiscal, and administrative compliance, which includes collecting and managing large amounts of data.
- Provide as-needed technological, security, and logistical support to the entire Protect Democracy team.
- Maintain knowledge management systems for Protect Democracy’s work, facilitating the broader team’s visibility across the organization’s work.
- Work across teams on special projects, including annual strategic planning, organization-wide meetings, and the implementation of new tools or trainings.
- Assist with the administration of several benefit programs, including FSAs, 401k, health care, and more.
- Act as an integral part of the onboarding experience for new staff members.
- Contribute to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy and organizational culture.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Passion for protecting and improving our democracy.
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Strong writing, research, and communication skills.
- Proven experience tracking, prioritizing, and balancing a diverse set of responsibilities with competing deadlines.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows.
- Enthusiasm for team collaboration and working with people with diverse backgrounds and characteristics, and openness to a diversity of ideas and perspectives.
- Growth mindset and comfort giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways.
Pluses, but not requirements:
- Background in IT, cybersecurity, physical security, logistics, or finance.
The starting salary range for this role is $58,916 to $64,528, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
About Protect Democracy
- Flexible work schedule. This position is based in Washington, DC and will require you to be present in our office approximately 3 days a week, on a flexible schedule. We will consider candidates outside of the Washington, DC area for our knowledge management and systems portfolios. All staff are also required to travel at least two times per year to team retreats, as well as occasional project-related travel. (Accommodations to this requirement will be made only in exceptional circumstances.) We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and elsewhere around the country.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes an unlimited vacation and sick leave policy, along with 12 paid holidays, 4 weeks of paid family medical leave, and 18 weeks of paid parental leave. We also offer a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please complete the application linked below. As part of your application, you will be asked to upload as a single PDF of your resume and cover letter and to answer two short questions. Applications missing any of the required materials will be considered incomplete and not reviewed. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting June 2, 2023.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.