Protect Democracy seeks a highly motivated individual to join our Operations team in the newly created role of Accounting Associate.
At Protect Democracy, we anchor our work in service to our mission: to prevent American democracy from declining into a more authoritarian form of government. Our mission is the foundation of our team, be it litigation, advocacy, or ensuring that our organization has the financial security to continue to meet the urgency of the moment and the importance of this movement.
As Accounting Associate, you will perform various monthly accounting close processes, help prepare the semi-monthly payroll, and be the primary approver of employee reimbursements and third-party vendor payments. This is an excellent opportunity for an enthusiastic accounting professional looking to expand their skill set and make an indelible footprint on a growing organization.
We strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply. If you have an interest in exploring this opportunity but lack some of the required experience, we would still love to hear from you. You can work remotely from any location in the United States.
The Accounting Associate will:
- Perform monthly accounting close work including bank account reconciliations and other balance sheet reconciliations.
- Prepare semi-monthly payroll and 401K contributions.
- Ensure third-party vendors, partners, and employee reimbursements are paid accurately and on time.
- Help maintain the Organization’s compliance with US GAAP.
- Contribute to the preparation of the annual financial audits and Form 990 production.
- Identify ways to build and improve on Protect Democracy’s financial internal controls by examining needs, assessing possible solutions, and making recommendations.
- Collaborate with the Operations team and other teams across the organization to provide financial reporting and accounting guidance.
- Contribute to the overall development of Protect Democracy across all areas and facets of the organization, including impact strategy.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Passion for protecting and improving our democracy.
- A bachelor’s degree or 2+ years of professional experience in accounting.
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Facility with Microsoft Excel and Google Suite.
- Strong writing, research, communication, and diplomatic skills.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment and pivoting to solutions as the organization grows.
- Growth mindset and enthusiasm for giving and receiving feedback up, down and sideways.
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including reasoning through novel problems and to get to efficient solutions.
- Kindness and respect for others.
Pluses, but not requirements:
- Experience with non-profit accounting or active CPA license.
- Knowledge of Sage Intacct.
The starting salary range for this role is $58,916 - $64,528, commensurate with the candidate’s relevant experience, capabilities and skills and in alignment with internal equity.
About Protect Democracy
- Flexible location. You can work from any location in the United States as long as your location allows you to complete the demands of the position and mission. All staff are required to travel at least two times per year to internal team retreats. (Accommodations to this requirement will be made only in exceptional circumstances.) We currently have staff in Washington, DC, New York, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, Washington, and elsewhere around the country. We offer shared workspaces in many of these locations for staff members who enjoy working in an office environment.
- Commitment to a diverse workplace. Protect Democracy is an equal opportunity employer. Our culture principles emphasize that there is strength in diversity as we believe diverse teams are more innovative, creative, and productive. Protect Democracy encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, or veteran status.
- Competitive pay and phenomenal benefits. In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits package includes an unlimited vacation and sick leave policy, along with 12 paid holidays, 4 weeks of paid family medical leave, and 18 weeks of paid parental leave. We also offer a 401(k) plan with up to 6% employer match that vests immediately, full coverage for an excellent health care plan that includes both dental and vision insurance, long-term disability and life insurance for all employees, a home office stipend, and as budget allows, discretionary bonuses.
- Ample opportunities for personal & professional development. Candidates who do not meet all listed criteria should still apply, as our organizational structure focuses on providing mentorship and opportunities for professional growth.
To apply for this position, please complete the application linked below. As part of your application, you will be asked to upload as a single PDF of your resume and cover letter and to answer two short questions. Applications missing any of the required materials will be considered incomplete and not reviewed. Complete applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, starting June 2, 2023.
Please contact email@example.com if you require accommodations at any point in the application process.