Systems Analyst VII
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
25, 25B, 53, 53A, IT, 030, C4I11, ISM
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Technology Office / Enterprise Solution Services
$7083.33 - $9166.66 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin TX 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 475-2104 or (512) 463-5920
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE IN DEPTH INFORMATION IN THE SPECIAL TRAINING/SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS AND EMPLOYMENT HISTORY SECTIONS TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THEY MEET THE POSITION QUALIFICATIONS
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant.
Interview Place/Time: Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Notice: Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Enterprise Solution Architect (ESA) is a technology role reporting to the Director of Enterprise Solution Services and responsible for translating business strategy into IT strategy, IT systems and working closely with senior leaders of state agencies. The Enterprise Solution Architect develops iterative plans and solutions for customer state agencies that ensure technology objectives are aligned with business goals. The goal of the Enterprise Solution Architect is to work within a framework that smoothly bridges the gaps between business architecture, systems architecture, data architecture and technical architecture. The Enterprise Architect is responsible for assisting in the development of the strategy, roadmap, design and implementation of the framework, as well as policy creation, promotion and education. The Enterprise Solution Architect may plan, assign, and supervise the work of others. The Enterprise Solution Architect is primarily a customer facing role. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Develop a deep understanding of the enterprise business model and goals, and then develop comprehensive solutions and strategies that align business goals with technology goals.
- Work with application groups, both internal and external, across various technical areas with a charter to review, assist and oversee in the design of all layers of the architecture, including application, database, systems, infrastructure, statistical analysis, Informatics, storage and network layers.
- Collaborate on and work within an Enterprise IT Architecture Governance framework by building out a charter using generally accepted public sector standards such as NIST, or creating standards where appropriate standards do not exist.
- Work with other architects and technical leads from state agencies to lead and drive technical strategies related to common business initiatives and shared goals and solutions.
- Lead the on-going development of Technical Roadmap(s), new technical architectural and best practice strategies to support business strategies and to promote operating business excellence and efficiency.
- Use a structured methodology to evaluate and select solution alternatives including all underlying concepts, best practices, hardware, software and tools. Exercise financial analysis using Cost Benefit Analysis, Return on Investment and other financial evaluation techniques
- Work with internal and external staff to develop a strong understanding of all current technologies and of emerging technologies that may be used to support initiatives and goals
- Perform gap analysis assessments of developing strategies and existing operations to identify opportunities for alignment and improvement
- Assist in financial analysis, business case and justification for initiatives
- Assist and evaluate business partners who can provide improved technical solutions and benefits to the enterprise
- Maintain an architecture knowledge base and artifacts adhering to all documentation standards; catalog and make architectural documentation available on a secured basis
- The architect will be responsible for providing leadership, guidance and direction to management, staff and business leaders as needed
- Rationalize all key architectural decisions for reuse, redundancy, operating and cost effectiveness
- Working with the technical leadership to ensure that all individual project architecture components align with the direction of the Enterprise Solution Architecture
- Lead architectural projects according to strategies and plans for projects/platforms, ensuring overall alignment to the IT strategy
- Mentor customer agencies, partners and internal staff on the proper use of DIR sponsored frameworks, guides, and architectures
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a field relevant to assignment is generally preferred.
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis
- Certification preferred, focused on underlying concepts, best practices and tools, i.e., The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF), Open CA, CITA, EACOE, SOA Architect or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of five (5) years' professional experience in the IT industry
- Minimum of five (5) years' experience in leading cross functional teams
- Minimum of five (5) years' practical experience in a business focused IT role
- Experience in preparing and presenting information effectively, clearly and concisely, in written and spoken form to a wide-range of internal and external constituencies, including non-technical executives, officers, product or service vendors, and executive staff in state agencies
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience as an architect in the public sector preferred
- Proven ability in developing business cases and financial cases associated with IT projects
- Proven ability to work at both a macro and micro view
- Experience approaching problem solving from a wide-angle view and is effective at gathering wide ranges of input but crystallizing common requirements and needs
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of technologies including network, server, desktop, storage, application architecture as well as cloud services
- Working knowledge of EA frameworks
- Strong knowledge of system design tools methodologies SDLC/Waterfall, Agile, Testing, UML, application development, web development, data modeling and design, OLAP, etc.
- Knowledge of organizational and project management best practices
- Knowledge of Data Centers and Data Centers Best Practices
- Knowledge of data communications, networking, computer programming and systems analysis
- Knowledge of trends and direction of emerging technologies and their potential application and value
- Skill in analysis, including quantitative analysis
- Ability to sustain an effective client to service provider business relationship
- Ability to plan, organize, coordinate, execute, monitor and evaluate multiple priorities
- Ability to gain and maintain the cooperation and participation of others
- Ability to establish and maintain service orientation and effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers and with multiple business units and IT technical stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner to individuals and groups; to make effective presentations in formal and informal settings
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to work occasional overtime and/or a flexible schedule as needed to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to travel as necessary
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable health and safety rules, regulations, and standards
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments (e.g. word processing, spreadsheets) (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of personal computer, copiers, printers, and telephones
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening, and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Infrequent lifting and climbing