We are currently seeking an RN - Clinical Services Specialist to perform Therapeutic Apheresis procedures at hospitals/clinics throughout Puerto Rico. This is a part-time "as needed" position with a scheduling flexibility required for on-call evenings, weekends, delayed cases & last minute addition of cases to the calendar.
To be successful in this role you will need to flexible to travel throughout the service area, have strong venipuncture skills, be dedicated to the highest standards of patient care and comply with FDA regulations. The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development, team spirit, & competitive salaries.
Under the direction of the Medical Director and Apheresis Supervisor/Manager has the responsibility to perform clinical apheresis procedures. These procedures may include, but are not limited to, plasma exchanges, red cell exchanges, platelet and white cell reductions, photopheresis and hematopoietic progenitor cell collections. Demonstrate excellence in customer service and public relations to promote a positive professional image of the American Red Cross Biomedical Services. Works independently with attention to detail and possesses the necessary knowledge of all aspects of daily operations.
• Perform all phases of therapeutic apheresis procedures, ensuring safe and appropriate care of patient.
• Assess patient status relative to therapeutic apheresis, prior and during procedures, utilizing nursing process. Patient assessment to include laboratory testing results and other clinically significant procedures.
• Coordinate closely with physicians and nurses at a variety of hospitals to arrange therapeutic apheresis treatments and facilitate coordinated care. Evaluate patient medication for compatibility and safety of apheresis procedure and determine when to contact the physician.
• Demonstrate knowledge and compliance with all departmental and organizational standard operating procedures, policies, practices and regulations.
• Explain, as needed, clinical apheresis procedures to patients and their family and other attending healthcare professionals.
• Represent the American Red Cross to the community and internal customers by establishing and promoting a positive organizational and professional image.
• Complete necessary training and demonstrate competency to perform each job function.
• Assemble, restock, QC and maintain supplies and equipment in a state of readiness to maintain a clean, safe and efficient work environment.
• If appropriate, operate American Red Cross vehicles in compliance with all applicable regulations.
• A minimum of 1 year experience in medical/surgical or critical care nursing is required. Good vein selection and venipuncture skills are essential. Previous apheresis or dialysis experience is preferred.
• Bilingual English/Spanish. Good verbal communication skills and the ability to effectively discuss procedures and medical issues with patients, families, and physicians. Customer service experience, effective verbal communication and public relation skills are preferred.
• Working days will vary. Currently we are doing phlebotomies on Mondays and Thursdays - selected candidate could receive calls other days of the week depending on workload. Reliable transportation required for frequent work travel to area hospitals/clinics (up to 4 hours one-way); mileage reimbursement is provided.
• Necessary certifications:
1. Nurse License / Licencia de Enfermera
2. Nurse Registration / Registro de Enfermera
3. Colegiacion de Enfermera
4. Nursing Degree / Diploma de Enfermera
5. Health Certficate / Certificado de Salud
6. CPR / Resucitacion Cardio Pulmonar
7. Drivers License / Licencia de Conducir
8. Driving Record / Certificacion de violaciones a las leyes de transito
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights