The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a full-time Regional Communications Manager to work in our Alabama & Mississippi Region. The successful candidate can reside in Alabama or Mississippi and will work out of any of the AL/MS chapter offices once restrictions are lifted. Until then, this will be a remote position.
The Regional Communications Manager (RCM) will perform communications and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with regional Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Training Services, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulation
1. Media Relations: Work with regional communications director, regional executive, executive director and others to execute determined media relations strategy, including maintaining excellent media contact relationships, news release writing and distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. Required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson, train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region, review support requests, and develop and execute an effective communications strategy.
2. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national disaster public affairs activities. Provide training to regional disaster public affairs volunteers. May be required to deploy to support disaster response operations outside of home region or may be tasked to conduct public affairs volunteer training and development across the division.
3. Social Engagement: Implement a social media engagement strategy for the region that reflects the regional priorities in alignment with the enterprise-wide social media strategy. Produce relevant local content for regional web and social platforms.
4. Marketing Support: Support integrated campaign/program development in collaboration with Field Marketing and Regional Financial Development. Encourage staff to be trained on and use Brand Central.
5. Internal Communications: Support development of strategic and change management communications.
6. Volunteer Engagement: Support the regional communications director in building, engaging and supervising a regional communications and disaster public affairs volunteer team.
Education: Bachelor's degree required.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Skills and Abilities: Good understanding of role and industry, apply specialized knowledge. Know what is expected in the role and expectations. Proficient in the role. Analyze possible solutions using standard procedures. Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Demonstrate effective critical thinking and strategic planning. Strong organizational and multi-tasking skills. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Demonstrated experience managing professional social media platforms for an organization is required. Must be comfortable using website content management systems and other marketing tools. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required; experience as a spokesperson preferred. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required 10-25%.
* Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights