Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America's 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia's top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University is seeking a bilingual (Spanish and English speaking) Early Childhood Educator to join its Center for STEAM Equity team. This position will help implement the Academy's early childhood programs. The educator will assist in providing professional development workshops, mentoring, and coaching for early childhood centers, for home-based providers, and in informal settings outside of school time hours, throughout Philadelphia. Program staff will also teach children of all ages. The ideal candidate should be a natural teacher with a passion for learning. They should have a professional demeanor and creative, engaging style of delivering content.
The Educator will report to Manager of Early Childhood Initiatives in the Center for STEAM Equity, which is part of the Engagement Division.
- Outstanding program facilitation and engaging visitor interaction.
- Assist in provide training, mentoring and support for home-based early childhood providers to enhance quality in all areas of early childhood development including an emphasis on literacy and language, math, and science.
- Work as member of team, collaborating with other staff in preparing training activities based on the Academy's Science and Literacy for Success model.
- Help home-based early childhood providers implement science content.
- Assist with all grant-funded programming.
- Understanding of developmentally appropriate practices.
- Coordinates with supervisor on yearly goals and activities.
- Complies with all Drexel-required trainings and certifications.
- Interacting with parents/guardians of children under the age of six years in an early childhood education setting.
- Mentoring, coaching, or training staff in an early childhood setting.
- Ability to prepare, present, and facilitate meaningful educational activities for adult learners.
- Tact in providing technical assistance, coaching, mentoring, and guidance.
- Must be sensitive to various cultural and socioeconomic groups.
- Experienced in public speaking and facilitation with strong communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others, internally and externally.
- Ability to interact with the public professionally and work well with people of all ages and abilities.
- Dependable; reliable attendance, including some nights and weekends and flexibility to work some special events.
- Organized and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Strong background and/or interest in the natural sciences.
- Excited to learn and share the Academy’s stories with others.
- HS Diploma or GED
- Minimum of two years of teaching in early childhood learning setting
- Must be bi-lingual in Spanish and English
- Valid driver’s license and 3-year clean driving record required.
- Must pass Criminal Background check and Child Abuse Clearance check.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Experience or ability to learn specialized reporting software.
- Available evenings and weekends.
- BA/BS in Early Childhood Education preferred. CDA/commensurate experience will be considered.
- Typically sitting at a desk/table
- Typically standing, walking
- Typically bending, crouching, stooping
- Lifting demands up to 50lbs
Center City, Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/