$34,117 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County’s Community Development Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work (Permit Tech I) or experienced (Permit Tech II) processing, issuing, and tracking applications, registrations, requests and payments.
Permit Technician I: $34,117 / year or higher DOQ
Permit Technician II: $36,565 / year or higher DOQ
- Provides first point of customer service; responds to customer needs at the front counter, by phone and by email; provides administrative support to Building Safety and Permits Division staff members.
- Processes permit applications, contractor registrations, inspection requests and payments; issues permits and certificates of occupancy; monitors permit workflows; responds to questions about permits and inspections; oversees and tracks daily collection of fees.
- Monitors permit workflows by reviewing application submittals for completeness and assigning cases to plan review staff; reviews and adjusts inspection and document review workflows for each permit case during pre-reviews and after permits are issued; continuously monitors permit workflows to assure customer service needs are met and to find areas needing business process improvements; reports same to supervisor.
- Utilizes training opportunities and resources provided to improve professional and technical skills.
- Manages utility meter release approvals and red tag notifications.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; business school diploma or certificate and experience as permit technician preferred.
- Must have reliable transportation to work site(s).
- Knowledge of at least one of the following areas: building construction; building, fire, or housing inspections; plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades; or fire protection, elevator or property maintenance work; knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; and, knowledge of the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
- Skill in the use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.
Accepting applications until position is filled. Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully completed application is required for your application to be considered.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov