Harvard Graduate School of Education
Duties & Responsibilities
The Teaching and Learning Lab within Academic Affairs at the Harvard Graduate School of Education is seeking a Learning Designer to assist with the design and development of online courses at programs. Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Learning Design, the Learning Designer is a creative thinker who is able to envision technological solutions to instructional problems. The Learning Designer will be embedded in teaching teams as they work collaborative to design and develop digital learning assets - from standalone learning units through fully online courses. The position involves close attention to detail, commitment to a rapid development mindset, and willingness to pitch in to move a project toward completion. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Learning Design.
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Learning Design 35%
• Analyze specific learning and teaching challenges with faculty, teaching fellows (TFs), departments, and executive education and advise on approaches to address these challenges
• Coach others on the process of learning design and best practices for online communication / collaboration and learning asset / digital content development
• Craft / coach the design of training materials and documentation for courses, departments, and executive education based on design plans developed by the Assistant Director of Learning Design
Project Management and Technical Expertise 15%
• Keep abreast of new developments in the area of responsibility, always with a focus on how that can enhance the HGSE environment.
• Work with the Assistant Director of Learning Design to maintain the design portfolio of the team. Work to keep projects on task and on budget; elevate problem areas to senior leadership when required.
• Provide project leadership on digital asset creation projects, identify partners both inside and outside of the group, and maintain clear communication channels with all stakeholders.
Digital Asset Creation 50%
• Develop / revise digital assets using HGSE-support authoring tools
• Build online / blended courses on multiple platforms following a design plan
• Develop training resources for teaching teams and online facilitators
• Liaise with learning technologists to explore integrations of 3rd-party or custom applications.
Other miscellaneous tasks and special projects:
• Stay current with technology trends.
• Recommend and evaluate relevant software products.
This is a 2-year term position with the possibility of renewal.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Minimum of one year experience in higher education in an instructional technology/instructional design role.
• Experience using or authoring in a learning management system.
Any applicant wishing to be considered for this position must indicate that they meet all of the basic requirements in either their cover letter or resume.
Applicants wishing to be considered must supply a cover letter in addition to their resume.
• Master's Degree in Education or a related field.
• Experience designing online instruction.
• Excellent writing and presentation skills
• Proven understanding of tools for teaching, including emerging technologies
• Ability to stay abreast of the changing educational technology landscape
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.