WEPOWER is building a team full of dreamers and doers. We partner with Black and Latinx communities to build power to re-design education, health, economic, and justice systems to be just and equitable for all. We engage the community and amplify their voices to inform critical decisions that impact their lives. We train community members to advocate and lead change. We invest in businesses and provide coaching and connections as they create jobs in the communities with whom we partner. We envision a future where we all have to power to lead, so every community prospers. Join us. Let's build together!
About the Opportunity
Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Operations & Team Development (DOTD) is an exempt full-time employee. The DOTD will lead the charge of ensuring WEPOWER has foundational and sustainable systems, tools, and practices in place to support realizing our bold vision and strategic priorities outlined for the next two years. The DOTD will develop and pilot recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, technology, and administrative systems and tools. WEPOWER especially seeks a DOTD who will fully integrate our Manifesto into organizational operations.
After the First 12-24 Months, We Will Celebrate Successful...
- Pilot of a values-aligned team growth and development model that advances recruitment, hiring, onboarding, performance management, and career development.
- Design and pilot of foundational organizational manuals (i.e. employee handbook, policies and procedures) and build the existing team’s capacity to fully integrate the content of the manuals into the various strategies and programs across the organization.
- Management of WEPOWER’s daily internal operations (i.e. budget management, recordkeeping, legal, vendors, IT).
- Development/identification and launch of WEPOWER’s information technology system(s) and work with the team to integrate the system(s) and tools across the organization.
- Management of AmeriCorps grant to ensure organizational compliance, development of systems to drive efficiency and efficacy, and timely reporting to the grantor.
Manage team growth, onboarding, performance management, professional development systems, and other human resource functions (20%)
- Continuously iterate and manage process of assessing human capital needs, developing position descriptions, recruiting, and hiring new team members
- Partner with the CEO to manage the team’s performance management, career development, and professional development systems including onboarding, mid-year and end-of-year performance reviews, and performance improvement plans
- Manage salary and benefits process and systems ensuring a competitive total compensation package
Design, launch, manage, and iterate the operational systems across the organization (20%)
- Manage the process of developing values-aligned policies and procedures and ensure integration across the organization
- Keep the CEO fully informed in a timely and candid manner of the conduct of the day-to-day operations of the organization towards the achievement of its established goals and of all material deviations from the established long-term, annual, and benchmarked goals and policies
- Evaluate regularly the efficiency of operations according to organizational goals and priorities and apply improvements
- Develop and manage record keeping and data management processes
- Manage systems and tools to streamline communication with non-programmatic or fund development stakeholders
- Manage contracts, leases, and oversight of ongoing upkeep of office
- Ensure various the organization and team has supplies to support their operational needs
Launch and manage the organization’s information technology systems and tools (15%)
- Research, launch, and manage technology to support organizational performance, and project management
- Manage employee technology and equipment systems including purchase and maintenance of laptops and cellular devices
- Continuously assess ways to leverage technology to support organizational efficiency, communication, and cohesion
Manage the organization’s AmeriCorps grant (15%)
- Monitor grant for compliance with requirements
- Prepare performance and financial reports for grants
- Support AmeriCorps members and their direct supervisors with meeting grant expectations
- Serve as the point of contact for grantor including ongoing communication, attendance to meetings and trainings, and coordination of site visits
Finance & Compliance (15%)
- Manage financial activity in partnership with the accounting firm including departmental budgets (including signing off of invoices, quotes within mandate), payroll, annual budgeting process, and reporting to the board and development team
- Manage relationships/agreements with external partners/vendors
- Support and advise the CEO and Board of Directors in financial management and decision making aligned with the strategic plan
- Ensure that the organization runs with legality and conformity to local, state, and federal regulations
Streamline programmatic operations across the organization (15%)
- Work with program team to ensure systems are in place to support operational success of programs including use of appropriate communication and participant engagement platforms, supply maintenance, venue booking and setup, and catering coordination
- Streamline operational systems across programs to increase efficiency and cross functional coordination and collaboration
- Full of Business Acumen
- A Champion of Racial & Cultural Identity Development
- Entrepreneurial & a Strategic Leader
Your Education & Experiences Include...
- Previously holding a leadership position at a startup
- Experience with managing recruitment and hiring
- Experience with designing systems and processes
- Experience with managing and using complicated technology systems
The DOTD will have the flexibility to recruit, select, and supervise interns, practicum students, fellows, contractors, and volunteers.
Fun. Fast. Focused. Values-driven. Community-centered. Collaborative. Innovative. Lots of brainstorming and imagining what’s possible and then chasing each possibility until it is reality!
WEPOWER is a startup with ambitious goals and impact plans that will demand extreme commitment and agility, AND we value each team member’s personal life circumstances and priorities. Work schedules will be flexible and respectful of those circumstances and priorities. We will work together to ensure the organization prioritizes the health, social-emotional wellbeing, and morale of each team member! Some evening and weekend work will be expected.
As a startup, WEPOWER demands extreme commitment and agility, AND we value each team member’s personal life circumstances and priorities. We will work together to ensure the organization prioritizes the health, social-emotional wellbeing, and morale of each team member! Some evening and weekend work will be expected.
There will be 24-hour access to a co-working space with printing, conference rooms, phone booths, snacks, drinks, and the opportunity to be in community with other innovators, entrepreneurs, and entrepreneur support organizations.
The DOTD will travel up to 15% of their time to lead team recruitment efforts.
The salary and benefits package will be highly competitive with other organizations of similar stature and size.
At WEPOWER, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our programs, and our community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, veteran status, political affiliation or belief, or genetic information.
This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
- ROUND 1: Submit application by June 30th at 11:59pm.
- ROUND 2: Phone interview.
- ROUND 3: Performance activity and full-day interview.
- ROUND 4: Reference check.
- START: Welcome to the team!